starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RPE

Default RPE

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I carried out an ad hoc bit of experimentation on a few very experienced, advanced lifters in my gym. One of them knew what RPE was and considered it useful, though he didn't actually use it.

On the second set of the working set, I asked them to rate their RPE. They all estimated 7 or 8 which means they had 2-3 reps left in the tank. After a short rest I asked them to see how many reps they could actually achieve. The results were surprising, but in hindsight perhaps they weren't surprising at all.

How many additional reps do you think they did ?

Probably 5. Maybe 1. But not 2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    One of them knew what RPE was and considered it useful, though he didn't actually use it.
    Amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Probably 5. Maybe 1. But not 2-3.

Amusing.
    Zero.

None of them could add a single rep, so their RPE was well out of whack. I suspect that this is why experienced lifter will say RPE works for them. By underestimating the RPE, perhaps they mentally prepare to perform at their upper limits. It's the old adage of positive thinking.

Conversely, from my own personal experience, novices over estimate their RPE, as I suspect would those who were mot as focused on progress.

RPE seems to be mental trickery for focused, high achieving lifters to push their limits, whilst it is an excuse for everybody else not to do that last heavy rep. In other words they are always actively imagining they are capable of far more than they actually are.

Of course this was only a tiny number of lifters, it would be interesting to see how it applied to larger groups. Funny that no one had actually thought to check this out after all the arguments.

Will this be a new 11 page thread about how Rip is an old fool that is set in his ways and how he's unwilling to embrace this new technology we have called RPE?

Nockian is my favorite guy for amusement.

One of them knew what RPE was and considered it useful, though he didn't actually use it.
    If I had ever learnt piano, I should have been a great proficient.

I'm going to guess they did 3 reps, but if you had video, we'd all say they could have done another 2.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

RPE seems to be mental trickery for focused, high achieving lifters to push their limits, whilst it is an excuse for everybody else not to do that last heavy rep. In other words they are always actively imagining they are capable of far more than they actually are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    Will this be a new 11 page thread about how Rip is an old fool that is set in his ways and how he's unwilling to embrace this new technology we have called RPE?
    Technology! Goddamn! How did these kids get to be so full of shit? They seem to just believe anything that reaffirms their self-satisfaction. And it will not be an 11-page thread, I assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Technology! Goddamn! How did these kids get to be so full of shit? They seem to just believe anything that reaffirms their self-satisfaction. And it will not be an 11-page thread, I assure you.
    Nothing about their existence provides a sufficient risk or enough adversity for them to fail... and certainly not consistently. Much the same as what is wrong with academia -- their existence is so easy that any discomfort is a huge issue and none of their ideas or capabilities need to meet or exceed the rigors of reality outside of the bubble.

Yes, Rip, rejecting RPE is equivalent of an 80 year old rejecting to use the internet or software developer rejecting to use emerging tools to make a better product. S&C is in it's infancy!

Nockian is my favorite guy for amusement.
    Not from me.
    You must have a very low amusement threshold.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, Rip, rejecting RPE is equivalent of an 80 year old rejecting to use the internet or software developer rejecting to use emerging tools to make a better product. S&C is in it's infancy!
    So are you.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast