starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Power Rack Questions:

Default SS Power Rack Questions:

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I made the decision to screw my grandchildren--who think I'm a Nazi--out of their inheritance, and spend as much as I can on myself before I go belly up. I am eagerly awaiting delivery (by Texas Strength Systems) of my SS power rack, bench, 9-bar holder, jack, weight tree, and the whole nine yards. I also ordered the platform--fabricated precisely to the height of the rack floor, to obviate any trip hazard. For garage space considerations, I had to limit the size of the platform to 4' X 6'--but I do not see this as a problem, since I'm too damned old for the olympic lifts--and thus will only be using the platform (1) to provide enough flooring for of even height, for the bench, (2) for deadlifts and (3) for pressing, standing outside the rack. I have 2 bars and a pair of pins for dips, and the top for chin-ups, (when I get to the point of being able to do them.)

In order to avoid the hassle and time of moving the bolt assemblies for each lift, I ordered 3 separate assemblies. It is my intent to place these at the appropriate heights, respectively, for (1) bench pressing and (2) squatting inside the rack, with safety pins in place, and (3) for taking the bar while standing outside, for the press.

Based on your experience with your rack, do you see any problems I am likely to run into, setting up the rack, bench, and 3 sets of bolts up in this manner? Any other recommendations?

Thanks and best regards,

Russ

That's a lot of bolts in the way. You'll figure it out.

Thanks. That’s what I’m afraid of—but as you say, what the Hell—I’ll install all of them and see if they get in the way—the extras don’t cost that much.

I suspect Eric thinks I’ve lost my mind—but he’s really nice!

Haven’t had my hands on one yet—but I’ve gotta say—you designed one helluva rack.

Russ

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Russ, I want to help make sure your gym is put together and placed in the space perfectly since you’re using all SS equipment. Feel free to email me, it’s my first name @ startingstrengthgyms.com if you want us to make some suggestions for your planned setup.

Either way, post some photos when it’s done?

My racks here have one set of bolts. It's good for you to move them.

Perhaps you can take it a step further, Russ:

Why just spend all of the money you have when you could leverage your financial position to spend at least twice the money you have? You may even be able to afford your own fully built-out gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Why just spend all of the money you have when you could leverage your financial position to spend at least twice the money you have?
    An increasingly common approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My racks here have one set of bolts. It's good for you to move them.
    . Thanks, Coach. When you move them, do you find that you need to snug them down with a wrench—or just finger tight?

Ray: Thanks and absolutely—I will be emailing you shortly. I will be somewhat limited as to possible placement within the garage, as my wife feels she will need to park a small car on that side as well. (She has sense of priorities!&#128512. Thus, the rack and platform will have to be placed against the back wall on the right side as you enter the garage. (Space for a small, POS car is also why I ordered the platform reduced to 6 feet wide by 4 feet in depth.)

Regards to all,

Russ

Finger tight has proven to be quite effective for the past 35 years. I don't want to have to use a wrench every time I change the bolt position. You'll see when they get there.

starting strength coach development program
    Got it. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Perhaps you can take it a step further, Russ:

Why just spend all of the money you have when you could leverage your financial position to spend at least twice the money you have? You may even be able to afford your own fully built-out gym.
    Not a bad idea, Yngvi. But at my age, my leverage--financial, physical, and otherwise, is on a very short moment arm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast