starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark, what would your "World's Strongest Man" entail?

Default Mark, what would your "World's Strongest Man" entail?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

I'm curious what you (and perhaps some of your coaches) would deem necessary to earn the title of World's Strongest Man, if it were completely up to you? Let's assume that it would be a contest (or set of contests), and that the title was re-earned each year, kind of like it is now. However, everything else is up to you. What would your contests look like? What events/lifts would you have? How would someone earn the title? This doesn't mean it has to be a strongman event, just how you would award the title of "World's Strongest Man."

I would never award the title to anybody, because it's just not interesting. Strength is quantifiable, so you have a no-straps deadlift contest, you offer a $1 million prize for the heaviest deadlift, and that's the guy. Everything else is just entertainment.

Hands outside knees? Stiffest bar that won’t snap with the weights used?

All that shit.

A related question: Which feats of strength (real or imagined) do you find the most entertaining? I think aeroplane pulls are quite a spectacle. I also find one-arm barbell snatches, circus dumbell clean & presses, and barbell bent presses pretty impressive.

To put it another way, if you wanted to put on some kind of 'Strength Circus' to wow ordinary people with the results of a sensible, systematic approach to strength training, what would you have the performers do?

You'll have to ask Don King that question. Among my other shortcomings are an inability to write fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    if you wanted to put on some kind of 'Strength Circus' to wow ordinary people with the results of a sensible, systematic approach to strength training, what would you have the performers do?
    Get out a ouija board and invoke the spirits of the Saxon brothers, Sandow, and Cyr. Those guys had the circus thing down pat.

The video of Brian Shaw setting a new record with the Dinnie stones was pretty entertaining. Go to the 4 minute mark if you're interested.

YouTube

I believe Lasha Talakhadze is the strongest man on the planet. He will snatch 500+ and Clean & Jerk 600+ before he is done competing.

starting strength coach development program
    Your beliefs, although somewhat interesting, are irrelevant to the OP. As usual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast