starting strength gym

Thread: cleaning 60% of my deadlift

Default cleaning 60% of my deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach, i did the novice program up to a bodyweight of 210 with a 1050lb PL total, then i did some cutting and dropped down to 185 with a 975 total.

Within the past month i've rearranged the program such that i train strength on monday and friday, and train the olympic lifts on wednesday. This is to see if i have any talent for the sport. Previously i hadnt been doing much cleaning at all and hadnt gone over a 135 lb clean all year. Recently i joined a gym with proper weightlifting equipment and set out for a max effort clean. As a consequence of never actually training a full clean, I have very little techinical proficiency in the movement, but i managed to work my way up to a 220 lb clean. This was a few weeks ago and yesterday i grinded out a single at 350# on deadlift, so thats 220/350=62%. For deadlift, my technical proficiency is comparatively quite high due to weekly training over the past two years.

I've been doing a bit of reading and this sounds like it might be a decent ratio, all things considered. I'm not sure what my SVJ is though i know its somewhere over 2 feet.

I was hoping i could get your thoughts on this.

A deadlift is not really a technical movement in that it is very easy to learn to a high degree of technical efficiency in a short time. And a 350 deadlift at 185 is not impressive for a guy who has been training for two years. What was your squat and deadlift before you lost the 25 pounds, and what are the chances that your ratio would have been the same there?

Is OP talking clean or power-clean.

i.e. all this "60% of deadlift" talk.

In Olympic Weightlifting circles, there is not much talk comparing (squat)clean to deadlift numbers.
    And, even if there is something out there like that, if its traditional Weightlifting ...they're probably talking about a clean deadlift not a conventional PL type deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A deadlift is not really a technical movement in that it is very easy to learn to a high degree of technical efficiency in a short time. And a 350 deadlift at 185 is not impressive for a guy who has been training for two years. What was your squat and deadlift before you lost the 25 pounds, and what are the chances that your ratio would have been the same there?
    I PR'ed 380x5 on deadlift beltless at 210, never took a max, but i'd figure maybe 410-430 or so there. I was squatting 330 for 3x5, all this at the end of my LP which i started in june 2018 and finished in feb 2019. i gained about 45 lbs in this time.

I'm not sure if you're asking about the ratio of my bodyweight to my deadlift/squat or the ratio of my deadlift/squat to my clean. I defer to you on the genetic endowment for CNS efficiency debate, and if you're asking if i think bodyfat levels (within a certain bounds) are actually immaterial to relative strength/power output then again i'm going to defer to you.

Dude is fucked. He's weak as fuck. 2 years of training? Sheeeeeeeit Kristen Dunsmore, a 158 lb girl lifts more than he does. Just keep lifting, brah, and leave your "oly" dreams in your dreams.

Wait.....Im assuming he's a he. Are you a girl? Even still.....not much of a total for a 195 lb girl.

This is what happens when Dreams of Klokov derail a strength progression. It would be much more interesting to know what % of your 500 deadlift you had cleaned.

I just realize that my reply seems unkind. Thats not right.

MAybe Im showing my age, but I grew up beleiveing that men - esp athletes - were strong. Doesnt mean women weren't, but men were strong.

Somewhere along the line - maybe it was the jogging/aerobics fixation of the 80s = but strength expectations for men fell. Ever see the Crystal light aerobic chanpionship video? Look it up. Shit is evil.

Nowadays they highlight athletes tap dancing through lmasking tape hopscochy looking ladder things and pulling 405 with a trap bar and they call it strong. I think the OP is probably just a victim of the age he was raised in.

Sorry, bro. Just keep lifting and get as fantastically strong as you can. Eventually, you wont care about the make believe lifting events. But if you get, a 500 pound squat and a 600 pound deadlift will allow you to C&J and snatch all you need. But you wont care about it anymore.

You've.. really got me pegged here. I'll work on it.

starting strength coach development program
    Aside from lifting big weights, is it your goal in life to be an insufferable jackass? cuz you're killing it.