starting strength gym

Thread: Crazy Things Doctors Say - Starting Strength Radio

Default Crazy Things Doctors Say - Starting Strength Radio

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What's the craziest thing a doctor has told you? Follow the link below and tell us your story. It could be featured on Starting Strength Radio! Make sure to vote for your favorite stories too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bre Hillen View Post
    What's the craziest thing a doctor has told you? Follow the link below and tell us your story. It could be featured on Starting Strength Radio! Make sure to vote for your favorite stories too.
    #1 After telling the doc that I'm a power lifter: "It's okay to lift weights but not too heavy." (I think most of us have heard this)

#2 Pediatrician asks my 14 year old son if he lifts weights. He says yes. She asks how much. To give an answer with substance to her vague question he says he squats 250lbs. Pediatrician screeches, "do you want your heart to explode?!". Subsequent visits with a cardiologist verified that a) his heart had not and would not explode and b) he had an "athlete's heart" (often confused with potentially fatal congenital or disease induced wall thickening). His heart was in excellent shape due to lifting and other physical activity. Long story.. but he had to de-train to prove that.

In my early 20's when I had a lot of back pain, I had a doctor diagnose the issue. She told me " it seems kind of disc-ey" and that I would have lifelong back issues and would have to do her prescribed stretches 3 times a day for the rest of my existence . She also told me I couldn't be seated more than 30 minutes without getting up to stretch including car rides. Of course none of that turned out to be true. I'm in my mid 40's with little to no back pain and do every activity I want.

My wife was told she has osteoporosis and needs to do “weight-bearing exercise” to fight it. When asked for specifics, he replied “Walk more”. More than the several miles a week she already walks, that is.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GammaFlat View Post
    #1 After telling the doc that I'm a power lifter: "It's okay to lift weights but not too heavy." (I think most of us have heard this)

#2 Pediatrician asks my 14 year old son if he lifts weights. He says yes. She asks how much. To give an answer with substance to her vague question he says he squats 250lbs. Pediatrician screeches, "do you want your heart to explode?!". Subsequent visits with a cardiologist verified that a) his heart had not and would not explode and b) he had an "athlete's heart" (often confused with potentially fatal congenital or disease induced wall thickening). His heart was in excellent shape due to lifting and other physical activity. Long story.. but he had to de-train to prove that.
    Why did you ALLOW your child to go through this retarded charade????