starting strength gym

Thread: Why don't more places run SS programs

Unhappy Why don't more places run SS programs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark first let me say I'm a big fan and appreciate everything you have done for myself and everyone else over the decades.

That being said I'm always curious why more colleges, high schools, professional athletes, strength gyms, strongman competitors etc........... don't promote SS? The programs work and have there is a ton of evidence to back them up. Is it because I live in WA? Down in Texas are more schools and athletes running your programs? Do you think it has to do with your opinions? I don't know it just has been bugging me for a few years that I never hear more people (at least where I live) supporting and promoting SS.

It's not fashionable now. Functional Training is fashionable, so that's what gets done.

Default Is SS more popular in TX?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's not fashionable now. Functional Training is fashionable, so that's what gets done.
    I usually train in my garage but when I do go to the gym I go to a local power lifting/ strongman gym mainly to use their strongman equipment. I literally don't ever talk to or see anyone that runs a SS or a PPST program and that is the closest thing around here for a strength gym.

Is it because I live in WA? In TX are more people and "Strength Athletes" running your programs? When ever I mention it to someone they are very dismissive even though I lift more then 90% of them and have beaten them in Strongman comps.

I guess I'm asking if this is just a local thing here where power lifters and strongman are dismissive of the programs? I find myself constantly having to defend PPST programming when I mention that is what I train with.

This is not a powerlifting or strongmen program. Why would you expect to see them doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappey1 View Post
    That being said I'm always curious why more colleges, high schools, professional athletes, strength gyms, strongman competitors etc........... don't promote SS?
    Because it isn't still new, shiny, and doesn't use RPE.

After all, consensus rules.

Default Practical Programming for Strength Training

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is not a powerlifting or strongmen program. Why would you expect to see them doing it?

I get SS is not a Strongman/ power-lifting program but there are several programs in Practical Programming for Strength Training that seem pretty good for those purposes.

starting strength coach development program
    True. But I'm not the approved Powerlifting guy.