starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poignant.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "Poignant" is the wrong adjective. I think these things are always described as "stunning and brave" now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    This one (case, incident, whatever) looks pretty bad.
    So are those her times as a man then? I couldn't get to the initial link about her so just Googled a couple of other articles. The one I read all the way through specifically talked about how after a year of hormone therapy she got slower, with both her and her coach talking about how she actually stacked up better as a member of the men's team than the women's team. I'm not taking a stance on the NCAA's policy or anything, I just have the suspicion that the article you're quoting may be comparing her times as a man to the women's records which, if she's actually gotten slower, seems a little shady and very agenda driven.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    "stunning and brave"
    ballsy ?

I was at a local BJJ school recently watching the training. At the end of the normal training lesson there was open mat. This particular evening there was a 16 yo girl with a low level belt and an adult dude transitioning to be a woman (transition-guy) also a low level belt. Both of them were fairly new to the school.

As soon as open mat was called, transition-guy pointed his finger at the teenage girl to have her roll with him. I figured just like most of the people at the school figured, since he was so much bigger (at least 70-lb heavier and 8-10 inches taller) that he would be able to man-handle her.

I watched them roll. It became obvious quite quickly that even though they were both beginners that the girl had better technigue than transition-guy. Since she wasn't as easy to control or tap out as he had thought, he tried to overpower her. And then I guess she thought he had perved on her in some manner. The next thing I know she was choking him out. The move is called the Ezekiel choke as I was told later. He was too macho to tap out so he went lights out and he might have shit himself at the same time.

I remember thinking to myself, "you go, girl!"

I found out afterward, she 'don't play' and that she's from a rough neighborhood and is taking martial arts for self-defence.

I've been trying to correlate this event in mind with what members of this forum have talked about with respect to martial arts and technique vs strength and it doesn't add up. What I saw on the mat was a dude trying to be a woman who was trying to dominate a girl in a practice session and instead got choked out. The only thing that made sense to me was the dude was being a typical guy with shit for brains. He was unable to accept that he was in a bad position and reaped the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by franklie View Post
    I was at a local BJJ school recently watching the training. At the end of the normal training lesson there was open mat. This particular evening there was a 16 yo girl with a low level belt and an adult dude transitioning to be a woman (transition-guy) also a low level belt. Both of them were fairly new to the school.

As soon as open mat was called, transition-guy pointed his finger at the teenage girl to have her roll with him. I figured just like most of the people at the school figured, since he was so much bigger (at least 70-lb heavier and 8-10 inches taller) that he would be able to man-handle her.

I watched them roll. It became obvious quite quickly that even though they were both beginners that the girl had better technigue than transition-guy. Since she wasn't as easy to control or tap out as he had thought, he tried to overpower her. And then I guess she thought he had perved on her in some manner. The next thing I know she was choking him out. The move is called the Ezekiel choke as I was told later. He was too macho to tap out so he went lights out and he might have shit himself at the same time.

I found out afterward, she 'don't play' and that she's from a rough neighborhood and is taking martial arts for self-defence.

I've been trying to correlate this event in mind with what members of this forum have talked about with respect to martial arts and technique vs strength and it doesn't add up. What I saw on the mat was a dude trying to be a woman who was trying to dominate a girl in a practice session and instead got choked out. The only thing that made sense to me was the dude was being a typical guy with shit for brains. He was unable to accept that he was in a bad position and reaped the consequences.
    What will happen when (OR IF) the entity who is 70 lbs heavier and 8-10 inches taller gets to the same or near the same level of skill as the 16 year old girl? You saw a single match on a single day. You have no idea how long this girl's been training, who her training partners have been, her athletic experience, her experience fighting in "tha streetz" and so on. Likewise for the transitioning entity.

The answer to this is actually pretty simple. The girl had significantly better technique than the transitioning person.

Technique and strength are the two most important factors in BJJ. If you have shit technique, strength won't help you much. If you just got out of a 10 year coma, all of the technique in the world won't help you. You need both.
    When you see a big dude get his ass kicked by a small girl, the cause is simple: she had much, much better technique.

And as Rip has noted so many times, there are no technique steroids. So when certain BJJ practitioners decide to take steroids, they'll telling you with their actions "Strength is important to my success."
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Is it typical for BJJ schools to allow low-level newbies to be choked unconscious, possibly to the point of losing control of their bowels?

What Nick said, plus:

The confused guy was engaged in a contest with his ego.

The 16 year old girl was totally committed to the engagement.

It also comes down to your written account where both of them are initially described as beginners and then later describes the girl as having better technique. As key as strength is in such situations, good use of technique, timing, and leverage can overcome the attack.

High level competition where everyone's skill level is within 10% is different from a couple of random amateurs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Chapman View Post
    Is it typical for BJJ schools to allow low-level newbies to be choked unconscious, possibly to the point of losing control of their bowels?
    Tap, nap, or snap

The rules are clearly explained before you are allowed to spar in most schools.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast