starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Poignant.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Huh. Didn't know a throw like that existed in wrestling. But then I know jack about that particular sport, other than some of it's similarities to Judo and Jujitsu. Thanks for the fetchin' up AL.

As to why I use a pretentious language like Japanese for some things related to martial arts is the same reason Latin gets used for so many things scientific, medical, legal, and religious discussions. The specific words and phrases describe particular techniques and things that are easier to look up than say, an under hooked hip sweep. Kinda like using moment arm and center of mass to describe certain things by certain expert persons.

But to the actual nugget of a rhetorical question among the dung of the trolling. i.e. How did I cope, and someone else's never having seen such a counter before, not directed at you AL.

I coped by getting raised to chest height on this large Taiwanese Judoka (that means Judo guy) and then hurled to the mat and landed upon by that same guy. I suspect I was at least mildly concussed since despite tucking my chin on my chest, the force of the landing overcame the strength of my sternocleidomastoid (like the use of Latin here?) and my head snapped back on the mat, rebounded on his own head, and then recoiled back to the mat again. I coped rather poorly with a headache that lasted several days unabated. I also went to work on patrol that night on graves. Not fun.

As to counters for the technique I mentioned, there are a few. I'll do my best to use SS-ese so as to make it more understandable and less pretentious.

One is to drop the hips under the center mass of the guy trying to throw you. Not really an option for the big guy, since I was 5'11" at the time and he had over 6" of height on me.

Another is to use some lateral hip drive, kinda like pushing the hips up and forward doing a clean or a snatch. There was probably some element of this that was done by the big guy. My memory is a little weak from several decades of time passed and some moderate head trauma.

In my own case, I believe it was simply a matter of too much weight and strength and skill for me to overcome. This competition was a fund raiser for the SIU Judo team and the Taiwanese involved were touring the US as part of their Olympic team. Big guy was a 5th degree black belt (or Godan in Japanese) and I was a mere Ikkyu, the last degree of brown belt before making the cut for black belt. So besides the size difference, there were other major factors for me to deal with. Being a participant in this and having graduated a few years before and only training with the team, I was deemed expendable and got the short straw with this guy.

I might as well have tried to throw a planted light pole with a gi (that's the pajamas Judokas wear) wrapped around it. That's how much I moved him when I moved in for the throw. He looked down at me and grinned and my stomach turned a loop before he even launched.
    Fascinating.

Huh. Didn't know a throw like that existed in wrestling. But then I know jack about that particular sport, other than some of it's similarities to Judo and Jujitsu. Thanks for the fetchin' up AL.

As to why I use a pretentious language like Japanese for some things related to martial arts is the same reason Latin gets used for so many things scientific, medical, legal, and religious discussions. The specific words and phrases describe particular techniques and things that are easier to look up than say, an under hooked hip sweep. Kinda like using moment arm and center of mass to describe certain things by certain expert persons.

But to the actual nugget of a rhetorical question among the dung of the trolling. i.e. How did I cope, and someone else's never having seen such a counter before, not directed at you AL.

I coped by getting raised to chest height on this large Taiwanese Judoka (that means Judo guy) and then hurled to the mat and landed upon by that same guy. I suspect I was at least mildly concussed since despite tucking my chin on my chest, the force of the landing overcame the strength of my sternocleidomastoid (like the use of Latin here?) and my head snapped back on the mat, rebounded on his own head, and then recoiled back to the mat again. I coped rather poorly with a headache that lasted several days unabated. I also went to work on patrol that night on graves. Not fun.

As to counters for the technique I mentioned, there are a few. I'll do my best to use SS-ese so as to make it more understandable and less pretentious.

One is to drop the hips under the center mass of the guy trying to throw you. Not really an option for the big guy, since I was 5'11" at the time and he had over 6" of height on me.

Another is to use some lateral hip drive, kinda like pushing the hips up and forward doing a clean or a snatch. There was probably some element of this that was done by the big guy. My memory is a little weak from several decades of time passed and some moderate head trauma.

In my own case, I believe it was simply a matter of too much weight and strength and skill for me to overcome. This competition was a fund raiser for the SIU Judo team and the Taiwanese involved were touring the US as part of their Olympic team. Big guy was a 5th degree black belt (or Godan in Japanese) and I was a mere Ikkyu, the last degree of brown belt before making the cut for black belt. So besides the size difference, there were other major factors for me to deal with. Being a participant in this and having graduated a few years before and only training with the team, I was deemed expendable and got the short straw with this guy.

I might as well have tried to throw a planted light pole with a gi (that's the pajamas Judokas wear) wrapped around it. That's how much I moved him when I moved in for the throw. He looked down at me and grinned and my stomach turned a loop before he even launched.
    This is what the kids refer to as “mansplaining”

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    What will happen when (OR IF) the entity who is 70 lbs heavier and 8-10 inches taller gets to the same or near the same level of skill as the 16 year old girl? You saw a single match on a single day. You have no idea how long this girl's been training, who her training partners have been, her athletic experience, her experience fighting in "tha streetz" and so on. Likewise for the transitioning entity.
    I have found out that both of them have around two years of BJJ training. The girl has been training with adults for the last year and a half. The guy started BJJ before he got "his bits" lopped off.

The girl goes hard on the mat but at the same time I saw her earlier this week rolling with an adult male who has about a month experience and then showing him how to do a technique when he asked her for help.

I asked the teacher about differences between women and men training in BJJ. In his experience, the girls/women develop their technique faster than the guys. It seems like the women listen and follow directions better than the guys. It's like they have less ego when they are learning.

I have found a similar trend when I work with people in lifting weights.

I came close probably, once upon a time on the mat. I haven't competed since 1975 in judo. In that last match, I got my ass handed to me by the biggest Asian I have seen in real life to this day. He was 6' 7" and 280 lbs. at least. The match lasted less than 45 seconds when he countered my harai goshi and threw me so hard I wasn't completely sure I hadn't crapped myself as tweetie birds circled my head after I crash landed. Happily, my white gi pants remained unstained.
    I thought you trained yourself to fall without hurting yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Chapman View Post
    I thought you trained yourself to fall without hurting yourself?
    It appears you missed a critical portion of what I wrote and selectively quoted something else to suit your purpose. Adam Schitt would be impressed, and perhaps you should be in DC just now. For your reading edification:

I suspect I was at least mildly concussed since despite tucking my chin on my chest, the force of the landing overcame the strength of my sternocleidomastoid (like the use of Latin here?) and my head snapped back on the mat, rebounded on his own head, and then recoiled back to the mat again.
    Quote Originally Posted by franklie View Post
    girls/women develop their technique faster than the guys. It seems like the women listen and follow directions better than the guys. It's like they have less ego when they are learning.

I have found a similar trend when I work with people in lifting weights.
    That has certainly been my own observation in the Jujitsu and with the (born female) people I have seen taught and taught myself. The one thing all but a few of them have to overcome is their lifelong programming to "be nice" when it comes to striking. It takes some serious attention to getting them to hit harder than being caressed by a butterfly's wings. After that is fixed, most of them are tigresses.

It has also been my observation that women take to shooting instruction better when first learning. As in John Musser's article "A Matter of Perspective" wherein he describes a woman and her superior shooting abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    This is what the kids refer to as “mansplaining”
    It's my understanding that this term describes someone who offers up unsolicited advice. I was asked a rhetorical and condescending question. Which I answered.

Fascinating.

It appears you missed a critical portion of what I wrote and selectively quoted something else to suit your purpose. Adam Schitt would be impressed, and perhaps you should be in DC just now. For your reading edification:

That has certainly been my own observation in the Jujitsu and with the (born female) people I have seen taught and taught myself. The one thing all but a few of them have to overcome is their lifelong programming to "be nice" when it comes to striking. It takes some serious attention to getting them to hit harder than being caressed by a butterfly's wings. After that is fixed, most of them are tigresses.

It has also been my observation that women take to shooting instruction better when first learning. As in John Musser's article "A Matter of Perspective" wherein he describes a woman and her superior shooting abilities.

It's my understanding that this term describes someone who offers up unsolicited advice. I was asked a rhetorical and condescending question. Which I answered.
    So you trained yourself to fall so you wouldn’t get hurt, but it didn’t work?

Let's see if Hurling can use the words "legerdemain" and "monasticism" in a post.

I think that everyone knows what a Gi is, Mr. Hurling.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Chapman View Post
    So you trained yourself to fall so you wouldn’t get hurt, but it didn’t work?
    Mmm, no. I GOT trained to fall by black belts who taught me. Which protected me from injuries from landing pretty well for matches in competition and practice for over 4 years. Judo folks get injured all the time in practices and matches from throws and the resulting falls. I could add a host of other injuries that happen despite rules and training and referees and reasonably safe mats to land on.

If you consider the mismatch between size and skill and weight between me and Big Asian Guy, it's not surprising I got my head snapped around. He picked me up to chest height, threw me down, and landed on me.

You seem to not understand something relatively simple.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast