starting strength gym

Thread: Weekend Archives: Rip: Strength and the Prevention of Injuries

Default Weekend Archives: Rip: Strength and the Prevention of Injuries

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

All coaches should have to read this article and both your books. Here is a little story:

Our football team recently broke a 21 game loosing streak! Then promptly lost their next 5 games. I offered to volunteer to help in the weight room this last spring. I was turned down by their strength coach who I know from the gym. He is big into Olympic lifting and that is what he has been focusing on with the team.

Is Olympic lifting bad? No.... but it is not going to build overall strength and keep players from getting hurt like a true strength program. Maybe next spring when they end the season at 1-9 the coach will be more open to a real strength training program.

He would be open to a new job, if he's in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He would be open to a new job, if he's in Texas.
    LOL I knew the last coach that had 2 no win seasons. When I offered to volunteer some time in spring training back then he said he was "Going to focus on speed" and was not interested in building a strength program. He then went on to lose 20+ games over 2 seasons. I saw him at one of our kids baseball games after he was fired and asked him what happened. He told me "He had no athletes on the team." I told him that we have the biggest school in the state so there had to be some athletes.

Anyways I hope one day a coach will listen to reason up here. The kids deserve better.

Why should a coach listen to reason when reason disagrees with the coach?

Here is a little feel good update about the team. I went to the last game of the season on Friday. It was senior night. Coming out of the tunnel was one of my old students From weight club (I teach middle school and run a weight club after school). This kid was a beast and could squat a solid 500 lbs and bench 225 ish in 8th grade! The principal would not let me teach the kids deadlifts when he was in the club as he thought they were unsafe. I have since started teaching them anyways.

This kid had a monster game! We was a big part of them picking up their 2nd W on the season. I could tell that he had still been lifting as he was even bigger and was smoking the offense. Still working on getting the coaches to pull their heads out of their rears!

Link to his highlights :
    Zowie Pangelinan's (Port Orchard, WA) Video "Zowie Pangelinan's highlights Bainbridge High School" | MaxPreps

It's not just athletics, either.

A few years ago, after maybe a year of lifting, I had my feet go out from under me on metal stairs in the rain. I grabbed both railings and caught myself in the air, about 4-5 steps down from where I slipped. I am sure and certain that before I got strong, I'd have landed spine first on the steps, with a bad chance of a life-changing injury. Instead i got away with a bruised elbow and a couple days with a sore shoulder.

Strength is the fountain of youth!

My daughter joined the weightlifting team at he school. Apaprently this is a thing now in some parts of the US high school weightlifting. This SHOULD be a good thing. Unfortuantely, the "coach" who apparently used to be a college football player and also coaches the football team, had the kids running 1 mile before the practice and doing all sorts of situps and shit. My daughter, of course, had shown up in her mothers weightlifting shoes, which she had the sense to take off before the run. Not much squatting, cleaning, jerking and pressing. So weird. I kept my mouth shut.

starting strength coach development program
    I would love it if lifts off's were a thing (kinda like a dance off). You could go in challenge the coach to lifting (all 5 lifts with decent form)/ knowledge battle winner gets to train the team.