starting strength gym

Thread: triceps are involved using a rope attachment on the triceps press/pushdowns, to a bar

Default triceps are involved using a rope attachment on the triceps press/pushdowns, to a bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there, hope your well.

If you got time, I was wondering how different the triceps are involved using a rope attachment on the triceps press/pushdowns, to a bar attachment.

I know I can use less on the rope, but the rope is lighter, but its not only that. I was wondering with the rope, are the triceps involved more ??? As in stabilizing the weight, or would the shoulders do more of the stabilizing ??? Or as I can use more weight with a bar attachment, are the triceps involved more than with a rope attachment ???

Also I do CGBP, but I dont feel the triceps are that involved, as that's a multi joint, I find the triceps far great on all single joints. {Talking just hypertrophy here now}

Thank you beforehand if you have time.

Wayne

Feelings can be deceptive. See the multiple discussions of RPE.

FWIW, I find the rope handle hand and wrist positioning better (for me) and allows me to handle more weight. But then my very immobile wrists seem to like the neutral position the rope handles allow me to take better than the pronated position that a straight bar imposes on them. For that matter, any movement where my wrists are in a neutral position, pushing OR pulling allows me to use more weight.

Obviously, since we are not all assembled quite the same way, YMMV.

Why do you need a tricep isolation exercise? Are you an advanced lifter?

You can use more on the rope ??? I have never heard that before, or would never have thought anyone could use more ??? I can use up to 40% more with the straight bar, same when doing rope to bar on triceps extensions.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    FWIW, I find the rope handle hand and wrist positioning better (for me) and allows me to handle more weight. But then my very immobile wrists seem to like the neutral position the rope handles allow me to take better than the pronated position that a straight bar imposes on them. For that matter, any movement where my wrists are in a neutral position, pushing OR pulling allows me to use more weight.

Obviously, since we are not all assembled quite the same way, YMMV.
    Hi Mark,

Been lifting from about 11, and now 58, so yes advanced. And now I am just in it for hypertrophy. But I dont follow bodybuilding as in watching, strongman I watch.

Just very much interested in the biomechanics of the rope vs bar pushdowns, and also the triceps extensions.

Thank you in advance for your time and help

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why do you need a tricep isolation exercise? Are you an advanced lifter?

starting strength coach development program
    Pushdowns are silly, tantamount to a very short partial lockout. I see no purpose for them. Like you, I have never heard of anybody doing more weight with a rope than a tricep pressdown bar. The primary things permitted by the rope are a neutral grip (halfway between prone and supine) and the spread at the bottom (a little external rotation).