starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SS coaches numbers

Smile SS coaches numbers

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Mark

I know numbers don't necessarily make a good coach but it certainly does lend credibility to some of the stuff they tell you. That being said I had some questions you may or may not know the answer to about SS coaches.

1) What is the body weight and top lifts of your strongest active coach that you know of?
    I'm talking all 5 lifts in lbs.

2) What would you say is the average years lifting for a SS coach?

3) What would you say (or know) is the average body weight and lifts for both male and female SS coaches?

Thanks for answering some or all of these questions if you can.

We don't track that data. We just monitor coaching effectiveness, which is often inversely proportional to total, for reasons discussed elsewhere. For example, I am 63, I squat maybe 365, press maybe 150, bench maybe 250, and deadlift maybe 475. I no longer clean or snatch. But you cannot afford me as a coach, because I am perhaps the best coach of these lifts working today, despite my numbers. Lots of coaches are in the same situation.

That would then fall under the years experience data. If you have a coach with 20 or 30 years experience it might not matter what they currently lift. However if they have 5 or 10 years experience how much they lift could be very relevant data.

Might be some interesting data to start motoring and tracking. For a marketing perspective to be able to say your coaches have an average for 20 year experience or what ever and on average can lift this much could help get more people on board and ready to listen.

Marketing to *whom*, I wonder? Personally, I can really only imagine competitors being terribly interested (or impressed) with the exact numbers of your lifts, once you are talking more than upper quartile in any particular lift. “Success with customers like me” ought to be the core thing most people are looking for, I would think.

I’m sure there are times and places where specific sorts of performance experience on the coaches’ part could be relevant to specific sorts of lifters, but I seriously doubt that is a very general interest.

One would imagine that good coaches would show a pretty normal genetic distribution of the relevant physical characteristics - or, and I think there is a good argument for this that Rip has made a number of times, might be expected to skew to the less gifted side of the curve - thus making them have to think a lot harder about what works and what doesn’t in training.

This request just sounds a little disingenuous in terms of what the motivation for asking is and whether there is any good marketing thinking really involved.

Success stories, yes - the more - and the more varied - the merrier. Rigorous standards and a demonstrated understanding and ability to apply a clearly articulated model for coaches, yes. Universal performance standards for *coaches*? No comprendo.

I think about like a McDonald situation. When you walk into any McDonald's and order a quarter pounder with fries you know that wherever you go it is going to be about the same quality.

If the average's of SS coaches was gathered (to included experience) tabulated and presented hopefully it would paint a picture of an impressive average of years of experience and an above average on lift totals (world records and 1% lifters would not be impressive as they would be outliers and not the norm).

If for instance the average SS coach weighing 225 had 15 years experience could pull 500, squat 400, bench 315, press 200, and clean 225. That would be an impressive average to share. When I walked into a SS gym I would know that most coaches would have around that experience. Creating for a lack of a better term a "McDonald's effect".

Just an idea. There is a reason McDonald's is so successful because you know what you are going to get. I know SS doesn't want to be McDonald's but people like reliability in services and products. Outlier data would not interest the general public or most lifters but averages probably would.

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    This request just sounds a little disingenuous in terms of what the motivation for asking is and whether there is any good marketing thinking really involved.
    As far as this part I would think like a Michel Jordan for SS. Is the average person doing SS going to reach this pinnacle? No but it could still be a good marketing tool just like MJ for Nike. Because I'm wearing Nike shoes am I going to play basketball as good as MJ? No way but I still like to know his (MJ) statistics even if I'm never going to reach them. Same idea with the top lifters from SS.

It always interesting to me when people don't even search the site they're on before asking a question. It tells you a few things about that person.

Zappey1, like Rip said, we don't keep that on coaches as an updated thing because current stats of coaches don't tell the story of how they actually coach - lifting and coaching are two different things. But you know, you could satisfy your curiosity the way that Nicholas Racculia did with his survey back in 2016: Starting Strength Coaches: A Demographic Analysis

Thanks for the link. Sorry about not knowing how to find an article I did not know existed from 2016.

Your apology should be for not trying.

I just took the literal title of this thread "SS coaches numbers" and added "site:startingstrength.com" into google: "site:startingstrength.com SS coaches numbers"

"Starting Strength Coaches: A Demographic Analysis" is the SEVENTH result on the FIRST page.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Wow. Those are some solid damn numbers.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast