starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SS coaches numbers

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappey1 View Post
    As far as this part I would think like a Michel Jordan for SS. Is the average person doing SS going to reach this pinnacle? No but it could still be a good marketing tool just like MJ for Nike. Because I'm wearing Nike shoes am I going to play basketball as good as MJ? No way but I still like to know his (MJ) statistics even if I'm never going to reach them. Same idea with the top lifters from SS.
    One problem with this analogy is that Michael Jordan was a terrible coach.

I seem to recall a similar discussion or "Ask Rip" no too long ago. The OP asked "How strong does a SS coach need to be?" and Rip replied, "Stronger than day old piss."

The charts in the demographic analysis seem to show the same. Maybe even week old piss.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    As we have been loudly observing for 15 years.

I was impressed also and thought that data would make a solid marketing tool. I wonder if it has gone up or down since 2016?

But I guess from the answers and responses I have received I'm they only one that finds this data fascinating relevant and a great marketing tool.

But Mark you get to pick who your Michel Jordan would be. Pick a person that has great lifts and great coaching and start promoting them like a athlete from other sports.

I'm no genius but I love hearing about people that are stronger then me better coaches then me. It pushes me to try harder at lifting and coaching. If it works for other companies it could work for SS is my reasoning.

Just Ideas I have. I love SS and only wish you guys the best.

I don't doubt your sincerity or your motivation. You just don't understand how all these things work together, and it may be that I don't either. We're learning as we build.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Related: his most notable coach, Phil Jackson, was good enough to make the NBA, but was a mediocre player.

I was impressed also and thought that data would make a solid marketing tool. I wonder if it has gone up or down since 2016?

But I guess from the answers and responses I have received I'm they only one that finds this data fascinating relevant and a great marketing tool.

But Mark you get to pick who your Michel Jordan would be. Pick a person that has great lifts and great coaching and start promoting them like a athlete from other sports.

I'm no genius but I love hearing about people that are stronger then me better coaches then me. It pushes me to try harder at lifting and coaching. If it works for other companies it could work for SS is my reasoning.

Just Ideas I have. I love SS and only wish you guys the best.
    OK, apologies for questioning your sincerity -- I plead "the Internet" .

Out of curiosity what do you make of the stuff Stan Efferding has to say about Starting Strength at the 1:38:18 mark in this video:https://youtu.be/Ky7DgrDJB8s

Stan may not have the reach of Michael Jordan, but is this the sort of thing you have in mind?

It does seem like selling something that works in a field SO filled with crap should eventually win out.

Maybe Rip needs to write a more general book: "Physical Strength: why you want it, how to get it, how to maintain it and how to get it back, if you let it go" - that is aimed straight at the various audiences he sees that might be interested -- young people, athletes and their trainers, doctors, injured people, aging people and, generally, athletes of living -- seems to me there is a lot they have in common when it comes to the basic process and enough material already on this site to bind up with a few essays and maybe find a very wide audience. The message: "Unlike the impression you may get from following the constantly changing advice you find about exercise in the media, we actually do know how to do this and WHY. That's what this book is about."

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    Maybe Rip needs to write a more general book: "Physical Strength: why you want it, how to get it, how to maintain it and how to get it back, if you let it go" - that is aimed straight at the various audiences he sees that might be interested -- young people, athletes and their trainers, doctors, injured people, aging people and, generally, athletes of living -- seems to me there is a lot they have in common when it comes to the basic process and enough material already on this site to bind up with a few essays and maybe find a very wide audience. The message: "Unlike the impression you may get from following the constantly changing advice you find about exercise in the media, we actually do know how to do this and WHY. That's what this book is about."
    Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    OK, apologies for questioning your sincerity -- I plead "the Internet" .

Out of curiosity what do you make of the stuff Stan Efferding has to say about Starting Strength at the 1:38:18 mark in this video:https://youtu.be/Ky7DgrDJB8s

Stan may not have the reach of Michael Jordan, but is this the sort of thing you have in mind?

I like and respect Stan for endorsing SS. Unfortunately he is to ingrained in power-lifting and "enhanced lifting *cough* Juice *cough*

I would like to see someone from inside SS that has been doing the programs for years and has great results in lifting and coaching. I don't care about what a "enhanced athlete has to say about SS.

It does seem like selling something that works in a field SO filled with crap should eventually win out.

Not that Mark is not an impressive specimen for a 63 year old man but...... Maybe get someone as the face of SS that is younger and more relatable for teens and younger people. I mean there is a reason companies don't have Phil Jackson selling shoes to teens.

Imaging if they had a jacked SS coach squatting 600 lbs with perfect form with SS boots and belt on. Might get more people interested in getting the SS products? Especially if you could go to their FB and YouTube and see them training people with the SS model.

Sounds like a great book. When I try to get people to read SS they are often very hesitant

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like a great book. When I try to get people to read SS they are often very hesitant
    It's the big words.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast