starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SS coaches numbers

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I hope there is room for both. I'm not saying every piece of content should be about big lifters. But I think an interest is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappey1 View Post
    Not that Mark is not an impressive specimen for a 63 year old man but...... Maybe get someone as the face of SS that is younger and more relatable for teens and younger people. I mean there is a reason companies don't have Phil Jackson selling shoes to teens.

Imaging if they had a jacked SS coach squatting 600 lbs with perfect form with SS boots and belt on. Might get more people interested in getting the SS products? Especially if you could go to their FB and YouTube and see them training people with the SS model.

Sounds like a great book. When I try to get people to read SS they are often very hesitant
    You think he hasn’t planned this out already? Have you seen young Chase Lindley? Rip must have performed some ancient nordic ritual to summon this beast.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    What would your mom or dad would think if you sent them an educational video about Starting Strength and the first thing they saw was a 250lb guy squatting 700lbs?

Really get into their head and imagine what they would think.
    I second this opinion.

As I have begun coaching, I have noticed I frequently have to assuage fears that I expect all trainees to all get up to the ~250lbs range like me and DL 500lbs+. That prospect is intimidating, even for most D1 athletes. They are generally much more impressed and encouraged by the video of 75 year old woman deadlifting 225lbs, or by stories of injuries that have been fixed through training.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I second this opinion.

As I have begun coaching, I have noticed I frequently have to assuage fears that I expect all trainees to all get up to the ~250lbs range like me and DL 500lbs+. That prospect is intimidating, even for most D1 athletes. They are generally much more impressed and encouraged by the video of 75 year old woman deadlifting 225lbs, or by stories of injuries that have been fixed through training.
    Think about the revers of the scenario. I'm trying to get my gym buddies to run a SS program and the majority of the videos I can send them are elderly folks lifting.

Both are relevant No where in this post was I trying to say to not make encouraging videos for everyday folk. However I and probably many other people would not mind seeing more content focused on the other end of the spectrum. That is why I started the survey.

That way we can see if others are interested to. SS numbers Survey

I know the sample size is small so far but here is the data after 2 days:
    Welcome to SurveyMonkey!

I'm trying to get my gym buddies to run a SS program
    THIS seems to be the crux of your problem and persistent consternation over this matter. It's a phenomenon that afflicts some converts to particular forms of strength training to want to spread the word and gather more converts. I saw this with HIT'ers all through the 90's and they were annoying pests in all too many instances. I make this observation having been a hard core HIT'er myself. Just one was content that let everyone else in the gym do whatever it was they were doing rather than proselytize to them.

Resorting to too much marketing sizzle tends to weaken the credibility of a product or service. Hence, narrowcasting.

Think about the revers of the scenario. I'm trying to get my gym buddies to run a SS program and the majority of the videos I can send them are elderly folks lifting.

Both are relevant No where in this post was I trying to say to not make encouraging videos for everyday folk. However I and probably many other people would not mind seeing more content focused on the other end of the spectrum. That is why I started the survey.

That way we can see if others are interested to. SS numbers Survey

I know the sample size is small so far but here is the data after 2 days:
    Welcome to SurveyMonkey!
    If you can't get your gym buddies interested the problem is far more likely your numbers.

Concision!

Wow lots of attacking and negativity today.

1) I don't train at a gym I train in my garage
    2) I think my numbers are pretty solid and form is decent. But things can always get better. (you can be the judge YouTube)
    3) I'm playing devils advocate on this topic. Ill continue to follow Mark's training principles until I stop making progress regardless.
    4) I have been training for awhile and only talk principals when people ask (no one likes a pest).
    5) Yes to seeing more Chase Lindley

...the majority of the videos I can send them are elderly folks lifting.
    Send them. Use it to shame them. Those masters athletes are often lifting substantially more than the gym bros.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Peters View Post
    If you can't get your gym buddies interested the problem is far more likely your numbers.
    Man's got a point. Maybe your buddies are more experienced/gifted than you, but if they see you blow past them after a few months on a good program, they are going to probably become interested. Unless they are SUPREMELY stubborn. In that case, forget ever convincing them.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast