starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: SS coaches numbers

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just want to say that all the people chirping about Zappey's numbers should probably go have a look. Just because he's new here doesn't mean he's a rank novice. He's stronger than the majority of us shit posters. Unless his buddies are some seriously badass motherfuckers, I don't think his numbers are the problem

Here is the updated survey results: Welcome to SurveyMonkey!

Unless all the sudden a flood of responses come in ill be closing it down in a few days. All let everyone draw their own conclusions.

Thanks for the support. We are all at different points in our lifting career. The secret is longevity in lifting!

My buddy that is stubborn about starting a Rippetoe program can't bench or squat as much as me but can pull around 715 lbs ish. When I try to get him to switch he tells me no one strong follows SS. I would like to send him a link to dispute this. But could not find any. Might be some footage out there but I am not good at finding it.

So I thought "I can't be the only person with this problem." hence the original question and survey

Quote Originally Posted by Zappey1 View Post
    Thanks for the support. We are all at different points in our lifting career. The secret is longevity in lifting!

My buddy that is stubborn about starting a Rippetoe program can't bench or squat as much as me but can pull around 715 lbs ish. When I try to get him to switch he tells me no one strong follows SS. I would like to send him a link to dispute this. But could not find any. Might be some footage out there but I am not good at finding it.

So I thought "I can't be the only person with this problem." hence the original question and survey
    You might consider just being his buddy and not his counselor. If he likes the way he squats, benches, and deadlifts, and isn't interested in changing, then just leave him be. There may come a time when he's ready to listen, but he may not be there yet. Some people never get there, and you have to just accept that.

You could also just not tell him you're recommending a "Rippetoe program". Simply make constructive programming/technique recommendations without labeling it.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Sounds like the guy is probably past the point of novice gains then, wouldn't you say? What are you trying to get him to try?

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    What are you trying to get him to try?
    One of the programs from "Practical Programming for Strength Training " either an advanced power lifting or strongman one.

I have run lots of programs and the ones in PPST in my opinion are superior to 5x5 and 531 both of which I ran for a long time and made gains. I made more gains on the advanced 11 week powerlifting program in 11 weeks then I did on 531 all last year.

If the marketing was there maybe more big lifters would be interested. Heck most people I talk to don't even know there is advanced programs in that book. Heck I didn't know there was advanced programs until I bought the book and read it!

If the marketing was there maybe more big lifters would be interested. Heck most people I talk to don't even know there is advanced programs in that book. Heck I didn't know there was advanced programs until I bought the book and read it!
    I think you underestimate the effectiveness of the existing marketing. I attended a USPA coaching certification in August and the instructor was well aware of the Starting Strength approach to lifting and programming and was mentioned more than once in the two days of the course and with some respect and regard. It should be added, that it was also one of several approaches to lifting and programming discussed, of which there are plenty more as they apply to the competitive powerlifter. Granted, this is a smaller population than the general run of even those targeted in the narrowcasting approach taken by SS, but it's worth mentioning as something of a testimonial to what goes on here.

In short, there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

One of the programs from "Practical Programming for Strength Training " either an advanced power lifting or strongman one.

I have run lots of programs and the ones in PPST in my opinion are superior to 5x5 and 531 both of which I ran for a long time and made gains. I made more gains on the advanced 11 week powerlifting program in 11 weeks then I did on 531 all last year.

Sounds like you're probably just running up against stubbornness then. I dunno if there's anything you're gonna be able to point to that'll win him over. It's the caveat to wisdom and experience, you start to feel like you've learned all there is. Maybe he mistakenly thinks you're just referring to Starting Strength, since it seems like you're both well beyond the "Starting" category.

Wow lots of attacking and negativity today.
    I'll plead the internet on this! Honestly I didn't mean this to be chirpy but certainly can see that it is. Obviously you're a strong dude and you have videos of you doing strong things, not sure why that's not enough for your buddies but none of us know them so I have no standing on that.

Anyway good luck with it and if you take the time I think you'll find quite a few videos already in existence.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Peters View Post
    I'll plead the internet on this! Honestly I didn't mean this to be chirpy but certainly can see that it is. Obviously you're a strong dude and you have videos of you doing strong things, not sure why that's not enough for your buddies but none of us know them so I have no standing on that.

Anyway good luck with it and if you take the time I think you'll find quite a few videos already in existence.
    I appreciate the support.

This original thread was not just about my buddy or my individual preferences. I honestly think there is a big market out there that would like to see the same stuff I would like to see. The survey results backed it up. I'm not sure how much the "target demographic" spends on lifting equipment but I spend a ton. I bought 3 high end bars in the last year plus tons of other various equipment and weights. I have read two of Mark's books several times and watch or read most of his content.

If life time lifters are not the target maybe they should be was the bottom line of this thread.

This is the internet and I am just some dude but maybe I can get some conversations generated?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast