starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wi-Fi Internet and Sleep Disturbance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I want to know why "professional engineer" needs to go to a "metric conversion textbook" to figure out that 5 gigahertz is 5 billion cycles per second.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think you guys understand: The man is a Professional Engineer.
    Professional engineers don't refer to themselves as such.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    If your wifi is "affecting" you like that, you better just get yourself situation in a lead box right the fuck now,
    No, not lead. Lead stops nuclear radiation, it doesn't help much with RF, which is what he says his problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I would recommend enclosing your home in a Faraday cage,
    But THIS is the shit hot ticket. Failing that, there is some pricey RF shielding paint. It may prove less expensive than a Faraday cage or other RF tight 6 sided enclosure.

If you have any friends in the aerospace or defense business, they can probably point you further in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    No, not lead. Lead stops nuclear radiation, it doesn't help much with RF, which is what he says his problem is.
    Pure lead is a good conductor. It'd work as a Faraday cage as well; all reasonably conductive materials do.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Pure lead is a good conductor. It'd work as a Faraday cage as well; all reasonably conductive materials do.
    A cage mainly shields against the electric field, but not the magnetic field. Plus the cage is only good for the frequencies its designed to shield, so best to line his whole room with a continuous metal surface so there is no potential difference and so he is completely shielded electrically. For the magnetic field, he'll have to redirect the magnetic field with an outer skin of magnetic material with high permeability. If anything, a tedious application of Maxwell's equations will surely give him a good nights sleep- it always does me.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I want to know why "professional engineer" needs to go to a "metric conversion textbook" to figure out that 5 gigahertz is 5 billion cycles per second.
    The PE exam is brutal. But Satch you made me laugh on this list one.

Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    A cage mainly shields against the electric field, but not the magnetic field. [...] Maxwell's equations will surely give him a good nights sleep- it always does me.
    We are talking about waves here, aka oscillating fields, not static. If one day you manage to read the equations without falling asleep partway, you will find that oscillating E and B fields are coupled together (see the Faraday and Ampère equations). If you kill the electric field, it's going to cancel the magnetic field too.

Being a "professional" doctor of physics, not medicine, it's a bit out of my area of expertise. But, in a case of self-diagnosed electro-sensitivity, wouldn't an homeopathic treatment be just as effective as living in a Faraday cage to treat the "symptoms" ? It would be much cheaper and more convenient, with the added bonus that any homeopathic medicine would work just as effectively regardless of whatever is written on the label.

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    We are talking about waves here, aka oscillating fields, not static. If one day you manage to read the equations without falling asleep partway, you will find that oscillating E and B fields are coupled together (see the Faraday and Ampère equations). If you kill the electric field, it's going to cancel the magnetic field too.

Being a "professional" doctor of physics, not medicine, it's a bit out of my area of expertise. But, in a case of self-diagnosed electro-sensitivity, wouldn't an homeopathic treatment be just as effective as living in a Faraday cage to treat the "symptoms" ? It would be much cheaper and more convenient, with the added bonus that any homeopathic medicine would work just as effectively regardless of whatever is written on the label.
    Doctor (it seemed important to you that we knew your qualification), are you saying the waves from the wifi router were generated without moving any charge around inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    Doctor (it seemed important to you that we knew your qualification),
    It was just a joke. Sorry if it came out pretentious or whatever. There are a lot of "doctors" on this forum, and even more people who understand that a doctorate isn't a good proof of neither smarts nor mastery of a field of knowledge.

are you saying the waves from the wifi router were generated without moving any charge around inside?
    I don't see where you are going with this, but no. I never said the waves were generated without moving charges. Antennas create waves by having an oscillating current going through them. All I am saying is, you can't have variations of the electric field without the presence of a magnetic field (because of the Maxwell-Ampère equation) and vice versa (Maxwell Faraday). Therefore, if you shield yourself against electric fields, you are also shielded against the magnetic field from the wave. That's because the latter cannot exist without the former. This is the reason why we always talk about electro-magnetic waves, and never about electric waves or magnetic waves alone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    It was just a joke. Sorry if it came out pretentious or whatever. There are a lot of "doctors" on this forum, and even more people who understand that a doctorate isn't a good proof of neither smarts nor mastery of a field of knowledge.
    My Maxwell equations=a good night's sleep was supposed to be a lightheaded joke but instead became a way for you to let me know that if I could pay more attention then I could have as good as grasp as you on electomagnetism. Then your next line is that you have a doctorate in the subject. Wound me up a bit, I admit- correcting me without telling me I clearly haven't the capacity to understand Maxwell's equations would have been sufficient.

As for the current, I was clutching at straws to suggest that a steady current before the oscillator would produce a magnetostatic field which would penetrate a Faraday cage and induce currents in a moving body within. However, that would be true of all his electrical equipment and is just getting silly.

Thanks for the explanation, anyway. I'll bear it in mind if I ever resume my degree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast