starting strength gym

Thread: Torn bicep - Bill Starr rehab?

Default Torn bicep - Bill Starr rehab?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

Doing an obstacle course this past weekend there was an obstacle similar to a zip line where you held onto a rope attached to a sled overhead and jumped off a platform to get to the other side of the track. I had a good grip with both hands, and as soon as my body weight came off the platform and onto my arms, I felt a popping sensation in my right bicep. The bicep didn't give and I was able to hold on until the end of the track. After the obstacle, I examined the bicep in question and there was a small "dent" in the muscle on the inside near the elbow. I got it checked out by the first aid station at the race, where a "hook" test was performed and a resistance test, and I was able to push back against force trying to extend my elbow. They ruled out a tendon rupture, and the on-site diagnosis was a Grade 2 bicep muscle tear. I followed up with my PCP today who agreed with the diagnosis of a muscle tear as opposed to a tendon rupture.

Here is the bicep yesterday, 24 hours after the injury:

20191103_083353.jpg

Here is the bicep today, 48 hours after injury:

20191104_084754.jpg

The pain is far less than it was and I can move through the full motion of the bicep. I am planning on starting the Bill Starr rehab ASAP. Is a simple curl the right exercise to do this with, or should I use something else? I've searched the board and can't find anyone with a bicep tear that doesn't involve a tendon rupture.

Use the lat pulldown machine with a supine grip and full ROM for this rehab. Start today. Be careful with the weight, but go up as fast as the pain permits on sets of 10-15.

Thanks. I got started last night at a very light 20 lbs, but I will increase that rather quickly over the next couple of weeks.

You should be chinning again by then.