starting strength gym

Thread: Should I get an incline bench for my home gym? Novice starting the SS program

Question Should I get an incline bench for my home gym? Novice starting the SS program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

Thanks for the amazing book and content on the web.

I couldn't find an open thread discussing this so I started a new one. I'm buying my first home gym, and just started the starting strength program. In the book you talk about using incline benching as an accessory. Should i therefore get an adjustable bench (very expensive) or will i not necessarily need to incline, so i can stick with a regular bench.

Thanks

I believe that my point in the book is that incline benching is unnecessary for the vast majority of trainees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I believe that my point in the book is that incline benching is unnecessary for the vast majority of trainees.
    Thanks

Rip is right. Especially for a new lifter. Don’t discount the value of the overhead press. It will keep your shoulders healthy for bench. And bench is a really good overall work for the chest.

Once you're benching 315 for reps and youve moved onto some sort of intermediate programming you might want to start adding in some inclines. Wait until then.

Dumbest thing I've seen is 145 pound "men" pressing 125 on the incline bench.

Good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Dumbest thing I've seen is 145 pound "men" pressing 125 on the incline bench.
    You obviously weren't watching the first time I tried squatting.