starting strength gym

Thread: Total knee replacement

Default Total knee replacement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe, I recently bought your book and am on my second week of the novice program. I am very impressed with the simplicity of your program. I am 58 years of age, 6' and weigh 230 lbs. Last December I had a total knee replacement and a 4 months prior to that a quad tendon rupture repair. The physical therapy was useless. YOUR program is helping me build more strength! I do feel some pain doing the power clean, the landing on the jump specifically. My strength in all the lifts is going up and I hope to stay a novice for some time. I know my surgeon would faint if I told him of this training that I am doing! I just wish I had found your program earlier. Respectfully, Mark Perez

In your situation, I would not have you do power cleans. Too much dynamic stress on old injured tendons, not enough return on investment.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Mark, it’s a difficult choice to go against the mainstream options available in your situation. Nicely done and it sounds like it’s paying off.

I recommend getting a copy of The Barbell Prescription for more detailed programming advice for someone approaching 60. Best to preemptively adjust programming versus exposing yourself to too much volume and then trying to figure out how to modify the program after you’re feeling beat up.

Thank you both for your response. Sadly other old injuries are raising their ugly head. Old football shoulder injury and 2 motorcycle accidents are causing a big, painful sticking point on the press. I might need to stop that as well. I cant risk reinjury and time off work. I shall stick to the squat, bench press and my absolute favorite, the deadlift.