starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why is hookgrip easier/better than straps?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    It was merely a suggestion. And it still helps period. Sometimes you need a little boost in certain areas. It’s different for everyone where they need that work. You should know this.
    Certain areas need additional work depending on the trainee's deficiencies.
    I can't think of one where grip strength is such a deficiency that deadlifting won't fix. Recovery resources and time are scare as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    You should know this.
    I apologize for my ignorance in this matter. I must just be stupid.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    What do you do in your life that requires grip strength that deadlifting does not produce?
    Greased hog wrasslin'. Them things are hard to catch.

Try thumb tape. It’s something John Broz has made—available on his website. Works great with the hook grip.

Sorry if this is inappropriate, but I’ve never seen anything similar anywhere.

I’ll bring some in February.

starting strength coach development program
    I don’t agree with you. Strong grip can add a lot of confidence to lifts that need grip. Maybe it doesn’t need to be added but... if your hook grip is slipping that leaks power down the kinetic chain. It can also help with wrist health concerning presses and such. Even with the Rippetoe grip. And tape won’t help if your slipping. Just work the grip. As I always say, Chalk the whole thumb. And also as the weight goes up the hook will get better. Make sure to make a tight fist with the first two fingers over the thumb. Emphasis on tight fist, fingers compacted together. Do this before you lift the weights off the ground. Once the weight is up it’s too late to tighten the grip. Good steely grip helps always. And it pays to do some work with it. Not wrist curls though. lol

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345