starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why is hookgrip easier/better than straps?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A 3-4 inch strip of the tacky, self-adhesive sports tape works really well. It makes your grip more secure and prevents callus peeling. You can even get it in pink if you want to be a special snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Yeah, its called a thimble? And yes, that would be stupid.
    The more your delicate thumb parts crush and flatten out, the more surface area there is to grip the bar's knurl.

And you are are getting "protection" and "grip enhancement" confused.
    People tape thumbs for different reasons.
    Some it is for protection, you will tear callouses (maybe).
    (olympic lifters might be using hook grip for several different exercise per day, several days a week).
    Some of it, yes, is for grip.

Those premade thumb sleeves are mostly marketed more for Crossfitters....doing high rep WODs (light weights).
    Tape is better.
    Tape might help with grip if your gym has a chalk ban.
    If you are travelling a lot, it might be a good idea to have a roll of tape in your bag, and know how to use it.
    Tape can also help with a torn callous in other places on your hand, and has other uses.

I never done it myself, but I've heard of people filing small grooves into their thumbnails,
    or simply scuffing up their thumbnails for more friction.
    And even growing their thumbnails out a bit more than normal.
    No, it wouldn't be a thimble. That's something designed to protect a thumb or other finger tip while sewing; this would be custom designed for lifting.

And no, I'm not confusing thumb protection and grip enhancement. The right product could do both. The outside surface facing the bar could both be knurled and concave to mate well with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I'd have to try it out to see how it feels, but it seems like a similar concept to wearing lifting gloves. The more contact surfaces you introduces into the system, the more chance for slipping. I think it would probably hold against the bar and skin fine, but the inner sleeve to thumb contact is what I'd be worried about.

Again, I haven't used them, but that's my thinking.
    Yeah, it would have to be a snug fit on your thumb. Maybe having different sizes available, some padding on the inside, or a combo of both would be helpful.

I'm working on a big and completely unrelated project now, but maybe I can tackle this at some point. I think it's certainly doable.

Sounds like an opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post
    Yeah, it would have to be a snug fit on your thumb. Maybe having different sizes available, some padding on the inside, or a combo of both would be helpful.

I'm working on a big and completely unrelated project now, but maybe I can tackle this at some point. I think it's certainly doable.
    I recall seeing a product on Shark Tank which were basically gymnastics grips, but made with thermoplastics. I thought "I would never buy or invest in this product. This is unnecessary and solves a problem that has cheaper and easier solutions"

I feel similar to this condomy steel wool thumb idea, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. If you send me a free pair, I will give them an honest try and review.
    My hands are the size of a 90 year-old Chinese woman's, and as such, would welcome any possibility of a more consistent grip when I hookgrip.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I trust the legendary durability of extra small Trojan condoms as my thumb-guards. A true hooker never goes anywhere without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I trust the legendary durability of extra small Trojan condoms as my thumb-guards. A true hooker never goes anywhere without them.
    Acco Swingline Rubber Fingers, available at Staples and I have no doubt many other retail outlets in the good old U. S. of A. Not only are they non-slip rubber, they are thick and textured with distinctive nubs for (ahem!) your lifting pleasure.

Never had occasion to use them for lifting, but I'd seen the folks in document control use them for a few decades prior to retirement for sorting and counting pages. The elevated level level to which this discussion has evolved reminded me of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jaloszynski View Post
    I have noticed something similar, hooked deadlift sets feel better and faster, partly because I feel I set me back better. I wonder if there is a proprioceptive response to HAVING to hold on to the bar with the hook versus just being along for the ride with the straps. Being able to have the lats, arm muscles, and back muscles contract harder because you are gripping the bar.
    This was definitely true for me when I used straps. My back would get set, but I always had trouble pulling the bar back against my legs, even though the need to do so was very well ingrained. My arms and lats just wouldn't get tight, no matter how much I told the to.

Grip work can help in all things lifting. Especially hook grip. Get or make a forearm bar. Go under and over concerning the wrist direction. But never hold it up out in front, ALWAYS set it on something. Get into a rack and stand up with a barbell and hold for a goal of 30sec for 3 sets. If you can do all three sets go up in weight. I worked up to 405 doing this. It’s been a few yrs though. Lol. Cycle the weight if you get up to heavy weight as it can hurt your wrists if you keep it intense for too long. And cycle the exercise out every three weeks or so. There are a lot of ways to work forearm strength. Except wrist curls, please just don’t!.,!,?!!

What do you do in your life that requires grip strength that deadlifting does not produce?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    It was merely a suggestion. And it still helps period. Sometimes you need a little boost in certain areas. It’s different for everyone where they need that work. You should know this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast