starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Novice Deciding on Intermediate Programs after LP

Default Late Novice Deciding on Intermediate Programs after LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m thinking ahead about what intermediate program I run after LP. It will probably be a few more months until I plateau completely after multiple resets and deloads. I have so many options I don’t know which one to pick from. I’m 17 years old, 5’11”, 185 lbs. My current lifts are squat 275 3 x 5, bench 150 3 x 5, press 110 3 x 5, and DL 275 1 x 5. All I am wanting to know is which program is my best option out of Texas Method, HLM, Starr 5 x 5, Madcow, and 5/3/1? I have heard a lot of good and bad about both so I do not know what to or not to believe. Fortunately, I will be able make time for good meals and rest/recovery, so that may help differentiate which program is most suitable for me after the next few months on LP.

Get some coaching. Your squat is 9” above parallel.

Where did you find his video?

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    Get some coaching. Your squat is 9” above parallel.
    What are you talking about? Firstly, I do not have a public video of my squat and secondly, I always go slightly below parallel.

Hey Rip, after looking in the book it appears to me my best bet is to follow the traditional, 3 day/week Texas Method as opposed to the 4 day /week template because I am young and can recover from the 3 day.

I went a watched some of Andy Baker videos and it helped clear up a lot of stuff. I watched the video titled “Texas Method vs HLM” .

Hmmmm, tell me more about 5'11" 185 and "multiple resets"

Abzzzzzz, Tybor. Abzzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Hmmmm, tell me more about 5'11" 185 and "multiple resets"
    Not sure what is confusing about my height and weight. When I said “multiple resets” I was referring to when you fail the 3 x 5 at weight X and you do so for three consecutive workouts, lightly deload and work back up to weight X, still cannot do it, and then deload by 20% and work your way back up and once again get stuck at weight X.

starting strength coach development program
    At 5'11", 185 is a very light bodyweight, which explains your low numbers under the bar. I'd suggest that you finish your novice LP with about 5000 calories, and get your squat up to 450/deadlift up to 500 before you try to get unnecessarily complicated with intermediate programming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast