starting strength gym

Thread: Considering Hopping Back on SS Linear Progression

Default Considering Hopping Back on SS Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ve been training consistently since January of 2019 , so it’s been about 11 months. I’m 17 years old, 5’11” , 183 pounds and i’ve come to a point in my training where I don’t know where to go from here. I cannot decide if I have any more “newb gains” I can squeeze out and if it’s worth jumping on Linear Progression to do so.
    Squat 135 lbs —> 275 lbs
    Bench 80 lbs —> 150 lbs
    Deadlift 185 lbs —> 320 lbs
    Press 60 lbs —> 115 lbs
    I know my bench and press is pretty weak in comparison to my other lifts. Basically i’m just asking is it still worth it to start linear progression from square 1 and work my way up?

All your lifts are very low relative to your bodyweight. Stay on your LP, eat more, gain some weight, stop overthinking the process.

YES! Run LP with fidelity. Don't try to increase the weight by to much each workout. Don't "Max" out for at least 10 weeks or more. Your 17! You can pretty much run LP with minor deviations until your 23-25. Eat more food and drink more milk.

Don't "max out" at all, until you lift in a meet. Just do the program.

The main reason my body weight is so high is because I’ve been bulking since January. I have went from 150 lbs to 183 lbs

Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody_G View Post
    The main reason my body weight is so high is because I’ve been bulking since January. I have went from 150 lbs to 183 lbs
    Now start BULKING up those weights!

Hell yeah I will. Going to eat more cals a day. Do you think at the lifts I have now I can still maintain adding 5 lbs to the bar every single session on all three lifts?

30 pounds in 11 months is not a lot, man. I've gained almost twice that in half the time. Granted, it's harder to gain fast when you're young a lot of the time. But there's plenty of resources out there on how to squeeze in more meals and more calories (particularly carbs) into those meals. Change your mindset to "eating is training".

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brody_G View Post
    Hell yeah I will. Going to eat more cals a day. Do you think at the lifts I have now I can still maintain adding 5 lbs to the bar every single session on all three lifts?
    If your form is good and you are getting enough sleep and protein maybe. Remember if you can't hit all your reps drop the weight the next time 5lbs or so and try to continue the LP at the new weight. Think 2 steps forward one back.