starting strength gym

Thread: How much heavier should I keep the deadlift in front of the squat?

Default How much heavier should I keep the deadlift in front of the squat?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, Rip. I ended football season and I decided to do an LP. I stalled my deadlift at 370x5x1, but my squats are easy at 320x5x3. I am not locking my back out into full extension on deadlifts. In order to fix this effectively, I will need to take around 10 pounds off the deadlift. I decided to maintain a large deliberate lead on the deadlift relative to the squat because my squat has always been the same or better than my deadlift and because of the recent article on the site. How big of a lead on the squat should I keep should deadlift at during this time?

In two weeks I gained 10 lbs, 5'11", 200 lb male

Do not artificially limit the weight on your deadlift because you think it is supposed to respect some ratio with your squat. The deadlift is normally ahead of the squat, but the ratio varies with the individual and neither you nor I know what it is. Just train to your capacity on all the lifts. What is your power clean?

I squat more then I DL. No shame in it. Some of us are gifted with giant rear ends that make squatting much easier for us. I love squatting above all else! My arms are also shorter then others so I'm pretty solid at pressing. The trade off is it is hard for me to DL because of my shorter arms. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I started my DL with the same wheigth I started my Squat with. That maybe was a mistake. But its not the case for you. Your DL is still some pounds ahead of you Squat.
    I dont think it would be a good idea to cut your progress on any lift just because you have trouble with another. As long as your DL is not stalling because of a issue with your.

Would it be incorrect to say that an artificially weak deadlift due to my inability to get an established lead on the squat will cause the low back to not be able to handle increased squat loads?

Post a video of your deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morrison View Post
    Would it be incorrect to say that an artificially weak deadlift due to my inability to get an established lead on the squat will cause the low back to not be able to handle increased squat loads?
    You have a pretty good lead based on the absolute loads. Don't see an issue with this ratio.