starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late Novice Deciding on Intermediate Programs after LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    At 5'11", 185 is a very light bodyweight, which explains your low numbers under the bar. I'd suggest that you finish your novice LP with about 5000 calories, and get your squat up to 450/deadlift up to 500 before you try to get unnecessarily complicated with intermediate programming.
    Rip, I read The Internet and mainly advice of this type gets people complaining. And it sort of gets me confused too so can you clarify what you mean by writing those numbers?

I don't have the data. Is 450 squat and 500 deadlift a norm for a 17 year old boy? 275x5 deadlift even at this bodyweight doesn't scream "genetics" to me, but again, I don't have the data. If those numbers are unachievable for the OP, even with 5000 calories, is it not likely that OP will do inappropriate amounts of resets and gain inappropriate amount of weight trying to reach those numbers you assigned for him?

I get that this might be the case of figurative speech but even the intelligent people miss it sometimes. People misunderstand you enough already.

You're suggesting that 5'11" at 185 is not a light bodyweight? I sure appreciate you watching out for me on the internet, and I know you've had a lot of experience at this, but it is not unusual for a kid this age to get stronger than you think he should be. If you tell him not to try, you've done him a disservice. If he believes you, he's done himself a disservice.

FWIW, my son is also 17 and 185#, but at almost 6'1". He's up 15# since beginning SSNLP in mid-June. The jumps are much less now, but his lifts are still getting heavier almost every workout:

Squat: 170 -> 305#
    DL: 185 -> 335#
    Bench: 115 -> 180#
    Press: 70 -> 115#
    W.Chins now up to (BW+45)x5

These aren't dramatic gains given the time lapsed; we've had to modify the program some due to baseball seasons and school schedule. But it is still basically SSNLP. I'm sure we'll keep him on this basic track until the start of the high school baseball season in min-February. He will hopefully put on another 10# or so of bodyweight and be dramatically stronger than he is now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're suggesting that 5'11" at 185 is not a light bodyweight? I sure appreciate you watching out for me on the internet, and I know you've had a lot of experience at this, but it is not unusual for a kid this age to get stronger than you think he should be. If you tell him not to try, you've done him a disservice. If he believes you, he's done himself a disservice.
    I understand and I agree on bodyweight. I guess it's difficult to communicate such approach without being misinterpreted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12