starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How am I doing so far

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Some advice on how to bail out of a failed rep without getting killed during or after attempting #17 is appreciated!

I applaud your enthusiasm and newfound status as a lifter. However, I'm afraid Rip is gonna tear you a new one for Not Doing The Program.
    I'm sure he will go into it in more depth, but here's an example of what I think he might say:

a. have you read the book Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training
    b. have you been eating at a large (1000+) calorie surplus
    c. if you had done The Program, you would have been lifting way more right now
    d. don't do rows, dips or push-ups in the first two months

1. don't mix it up, just do the program as written
    2. don't do high-bar squats just because low-bar makes you uncomfortable
    3. don't do isolation type exercises
    4. don't train for size while you're on the program
    5. don't pause, either lock out or use the stretch reflex
    6. don't let technique stand in the way of increasing the weight, it doesn't have to be 100% perfect
    7. you can train through certain injuries better than doing what the doctor tells you
    8. don't do 10 exercises, do 6-7 at most
    9. how do you even ingest 40 shakes in one day
    10. yes
    11. yes
    12. don't de-load while on the program, only reset if you truly stall
    13. all supplements are unnecessary, nobody needs a supplements to be able to train
    14. yes
    15. maybe you ate / slept better
    16. this only happens if you're not eating enough
    17. amusing, however, what if your significant other does the program and gets big and strong
    18. bench lets you lift heavy weight, isolation exercises do not
    19. who told you this
    20. don't stretch, warm up under the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Yeah, #19's a big deal. I felt one brewing in my warmups at 225 yesterday and barely made it to the commode. Came out 5 lbs lighter, finished my warmups, and squatted a PR double at 425.

Since correlation always equals causation, I am now convinced that taking the dump led to the PR. It shall henceforth be part of The Liturgy of The Squat.
    Anything to get those wilks, man.

This is one strange thread I can't wait to hear this podcast.
    Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    A wise man once said "Don't deadlift when you have to shit and vice versa"
    Don't worry about that, he's doing T-bar Rows instead.

Quote Originally Posted by vigilance View Post
    6. don't let technique stand in the way of increasing the weight, it doesn't have to be 100% perfect
    I wouldn't really go with that point. Especially as a novice you should be very careful with your form.
    If the breaks down (squat not below parallel, knees cave in, ...) you should absolute take that more serious than the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by vigilance View Post
    17. amusing, however, what if your significant other does the program and gets big and strong
    More incentive to get bigger and stronger yourself!

Re. #17
    I guess you could always get a lighter weight significant other. Of course it you have been married for a while it might cost a lot.

Default Reply to the podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is so fascinatingly fucked up that I'm going to deal with it on the podcast I record today. It will be up Friday.
    Hello again Rip,

Really enjoyed the podcast, surprised you went through my entire babble, thought you'd just comment on it overall. Pretty brutal. Thank you, all of it noted.

To answer some of your questions, I'm 25, not Russian, but we do share a border with them, ex-soviet. My weight has not really changed, I started with 79+- and still the same. I don't have abs, pictures attached of day 1 and day 60 at the end. I mostly lost fat on the inside of my legs and a little bit on my belly. The inside of my legs looked so weird, that it was the very thing that got me into the gym, they look ok now. To be clear, I didn't diet at all, it just kind of happened. I discovered you from the youtube suggestions a month back, I think it's probably because I was watching Stan Efferding explaining the low-bar squat 10 times a day, I had a lot of trouble getting the form right in the beginning. If I'm reading something it's usually university related, I'll get to the book mid January, when exams end. I did intend to read it though.

Also to bring some clarity on how I workout. I workout twice a week on Wednesdays and Sundays, I work 6 days a week, and then go to university except Wednesdays and Sundays, so except those days I leave home at 8am and come back at 11pm. 2 days is all I've got pretty much, which is not optimal as I understand. Also, active recovery was mostly a hopeful thing, since I cover around 7-10km a day to save on transportation, depending on how late I am, that might be running or walking comically fast. At work I sit all day. I usually get around 6.5 or less hours of sleep during the week. Not the best setup, but you work with what you've got.

I do a full body workout, since I get such a big break. I start with low bar squats always, I don't actually do the high bar squats, but pretty much everybody in the gym, starting from trainers, keeps bugging me about it, most of what I wrote about squats is stuff they keep bugging me with. Everybody seems to be real concerned about my lower back, but it feels fine really, I tried the high-bar squat once and my knees hurt for 3 days, but somehow that's fine in their eyes. Then I do the OHP, then the bench press, then the T-bar row, which I really like, but solemnly swear never to do again. Then I'll do the EZ bar curls and EZ bar lying triceps extensions. If I have time, I go hit the punching bag for 15 minutes, since boxing is pretty much the only sports activity I ever did as a kid and I really love it. I don't do bodyweight yet, I've done them only twice, before I started working out, and a week back just to see if I had progress.

Biggest change so far has been my posture, which has improved tremendously. I don't look as sickly anymore. I still have some scoliosis, though nothing drastic. I also have hypermobility in my left shoulder and hips, no stranger to dislocations. My left side is considerably weaker than my right side, I've had trouble keeping the bar horizontal. So to be more precise, I can only do so much weights, while keeping the bar balanced.

I didn't really expect my progress to be that pathetic, I thought I was doing ok. Will try harder, maybe I was too careful.

progress.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    You didn't do the fucking program. DTFP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast