starting strength gym

Thread: Can a calf raise make an OHP easier?

Default Can a calf raise make an OHP easier?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all,

I do OHP 1.0, breathing at the top, no hip movement, and using stretch reflex. Today's workout went like this:

Set 1: 120 lb * 5 reps. 4 normal reps, on the last one I involuntarily did a calf raise when the bar was above my head but not yet locked out.

Set 2 and 3: both 120 lb * 5 reps with all reps done with correct form.

Did I somehow use the calf raise to cheat rep 5 of set 1, similar to a push press? If anything sets 2 and 3 felt easier as I didn't have to worry about balance so much on the last rep. Also, I just can't work out how lower body movement can cheat the press up once it's actually moving - surely any range of motion achieved through a calf raise is compensated by lockout being an equal amount higher up?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best,

Biggah_traps

Video?

"I just can't work out how lower body movement can cheat the press up once it's actually moving - surely any range of motion achieved through a calf raise is compensated by lockout being an equal amount higher up?"

going up and being up on the toes/using the calves calves during an easier portion of the lift allows you to then drop down during the sticking point (usually about midway where the humerus is parallell to floor) allowing you to get past the sticking point.

The better, non-cheater move is to really set your your legs, butt, hips and abs tight as a drum and power through the lift

When are calf raises NOT the answer?