starting strength gym

Thread: Headache During/After the Squat

Default Headache During/After the Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m 40yo and have been lifting for years. The last 15years I’ve just exercised and have really just started training since August. I did the LP for about a month or so and had to stop once school started because of time constraints (not enough time for rest between sets). Since then, I’ve primarily done an LP version of a four day split. The past month or so I’ve gone back to the A/B schedule and done the five lifts training every 72 hr, but instead of doing 3x5 I’ve just work up to a 5RM on all lifts (other than PC) for time-saving purposes. I’ve gotten quite a bit stronger (+130 lbs 5RM) since August.

However, the last four times I’ve squatted I’ve experienced a sensation that I’ve never experienced before. When I get to the 3rd or 4th rep of the 5RM I get a huge rush of tension and pressure to my head, neck, traps and upper back. I’m able to finish the set, usually, but I feel like crap afterwards and it affects the rest of my training session. The only way I know how to explain it is that it’s like a tension headache with lots of pressure, but it’s also in those other areas as well, all at the same time. The only other times I’ve ever felt anything close to this was in really high pressure/stress situations (fight or flight type situations), and it usually takes the better part of an hour for the pressure to subside. Additionally, it really zaps me and I feel tired afterwards.

I thought this would just go away, but it has gotten worse as the weight goes up. The only thing that’s different/that I’ve changed is about 2 weeks ago I consulted with Ryan O’Connell-Peller, SSC, and corrected my squat depth about an inch. Is this enough added stress to cause such an “episode”? Is this something I should be concerned about? I’ve used the Valsalva since August but am wondering if I’m doing something wrong during the strain. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Are you breathing between reps and taking a new breath and valsalva each rep?

Yes sir, I am. I take a quick ‘refill’ breathe between each rep.

Had a similar issue. Pay attention to your jaw, if you’re clenching too hard it can weird out your TMJ. I had a bunch of weird symptoms that were like yours and making sure I relaxed my jaw after holding the Valsalva each rep fixed them.

Take longer between reps. Breathe more. And remember that the valsalva is not held in your mouth.