starting strength gym

Thread: Best time of day to train?

Default Best time of day to train?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip, greetings from the UK. We spoke on the phone last month when I contacted to thank you personally for all your brilliant work and fantastic results I’ve enjoyed from starting strength.

My first reference points of enquiry are always your Starting Strength and Practical Programming books before asking any questions - both of which I read and enjoy re reading regularly. I’m wondering if you could please elaborate a bit more about what you personally believe is the best time of day to train, assuming the presence of “ideal” lifestyle conditions to focus on Strength Training.

Thank you.

The best time to train is the time you can regularly set aside to train. Consistency is necessary.

Thanks for that Rip. Assuming consistency and other variables in one’s lifestyle being ideally placed to able to be synchronised with optimised strength training in mind, I’m curious if there is an actual biologically ideal time to train as a jump off point? I attended a seminar with Dorian Yates in 2006 and his preferred time was always 11 am after 2 feeds. He obviously selected that slot for a reason and had full time to devote to his endeavours. Some “science” literature focusing on circadian (most of it polluted by a crappy data, I fully acknowledge this) suggests that strength and power is at its peak window in the afternoon, as is evidenced by weightlifting / muscular performance sports appear to be witnessed in the afternoon. I recall from somewhere on the forums that you yourself prefer training late at night. So I guess I’m just trying to discern all things considered, is there an “ideal“ time to train, None-withstanding the superseding over arching conclusion that “ Do whatever works best for you“.

I would expect it to be different for different people. I like to train at lunchtime on a fairly empty stomach - maybe a large coffee or a banana. I would imagine there are people here that swear by other times (both times of the day and in relation to feeding).