starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength training with cardio

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Hanjin View Post
    ...the record was, 100 m sprint - 14.6 seconds, 1000 m run - 3 min 42 seconds, as you see, It's terrible.

Here is my profile by InBody

Body weight : 82.1 kg (181 lbs)
    Height : 176 cm (5'9.2")
    Skeletal Muscle Mass : 34 kg (75 lbs)
    Body Fat Mass : 22.2 kg (49 lbs)
    BMI : 26.6
    Percent Body Fat : 27.1%

And I have a little high blood pressure(Approximately 130/80). The physician said, "It's not high blood pressure not yet, but if you reduce body fat a lot, your blood pressure will go down to normal", "You must reduce your body weight"
    What times do you need to achieve for the 100m sprint and 1000m run? Are there additional running tests you need to pass?

As I understand it, the InBody is a bioimpedance body fat % measurement; I do not believe you are actually at 27% body fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you been accepted into the academy? Or is this exam in three months the barrier to entry?
    I passed the entrance examination. I have to keep taking a physical ability test even after I enter the academy. It is said that the better the grades at academy, the greater the benefits(working place, department.......)

Do you smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you smoke?
    Don't smoke, I hardly drink alcohol, coffee addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    What times do you need to achieve for the 100m sprint and 1000m run? Are there additional running tests you need to pass?

As I understand it, the InBody is a bioimpedance body fat % measurement; I do not believe you are actually at 27% body fat.
    I'm not taking a running test right now. After three months, I will have a running test at police academy for my grade, but I don't think there are any clear standards yet(The test is continuing to change. Rumor has it that academy bought NYPD's measuring equipment.)

So I think I should practice all kinds of running in advance.(100 m, 1000 m, 3 mile ....)

And I don't really believe in InBody either. But I'm not good at measure with skinfold caliper. Caliper measurements are 26%( 3 point. Chest 20 mm, Belly 50 mm, Thigh 22 mm). I'm not sure I've measured it correctly.

I think you should train under the bar until the academy starts, and clean up your diet immediately. There will be running enough after that, and you will be in running shape in 2 weeks anyway.

Don't smoke, I hardly drink alcohol, coffee addict.

I'm not taking a running test right now. After three months, I will have a running test at police academy for my grade, but I don't think there are any clear standards yet(The test is continuing to change. Rumor has it that academy bought NYPD's measuring equipment.)

So I think I should practice all kinds of running in advance.(100 m, 1000 m, 3 mile ....)

And I don't really believe in InBody either. But I'm not good at measure with skinfold caliper. Caliper measurements are 26%( 3 point. Chest 20 mm, Belly 50 mm, Thigh 22 mm). I'm not sure I've measured it correctly.
    Let me preface this response with the fact I think Coach Rip is a great strength coach. I'm not sure with his experience in getting people ready for academy/ PRT tests.

I usually don't like to talk about my past experiences as anyone on the internet can make up whatever they want about themselves. That being said I want you to take into account some of my past experiences so you can have some confidence in the advice I give.

I have been to 2 different police academies. 1) was for Military police where I graduated top of my class. Based off grades and PT test scores. 2) Was for DOD police where they did not have a ranking system just a minimum passing score. I also qualified and got offered a city police job based off my PT and testing scores ranked top 5 out of about 50 candidates before I took a spot with the DOD police. I also was in the Navy 8 years and passed all my PRT scores handily (at least 16).

Now that you have some background on my knowledge base. You should absolutely start training cardio right away! I posted earlier that you should have 1 day that you train speed and 1 day to train endurance. If you can handle a 3rd day throw in another endurance day.

I LOVE LIFTING. But if you only train running for 2 weeks you are going to go to the academy with a serious endurance deficiency. If all you have to do is pass then you might be OK. But if you want to go to the academy and be a BEAST you have to train running as serious as lifting. Do both as strength is important also but do not underestimate how much effort it takes to build up a decent amount of running endurance. I have seen lots of guys that were very strong that could not run for shit have a hard time with passing all kinds of PT tests in different academies and in the Navy.

I wish you luck at the academy!

So, your n = 1. Mine is higher than that. But you guys do what you want to do, and have fun with your police academy.

And I have a little high blood pressure(Approximately 130/80). The physician said, "It's not high blood pressure not yet, but if you reduce body fat a lot, your blood pressure will go down to normal", "You must reduce your body weight"

My dietary is real suck. I just ate anything I could see. KFC, Mc donald, Buger King, Pizza....... Now I'm going to learn some cooking and change it.
    Kim,

You've gotten some good advice here. Rip's advice to clean up your diet, and improving your body composition/reducing body weight generally, will have a positive effect on your blood pressure as well as your run performance.

Zappey gave some solid advice to be physically prepared for academy: 2 or 3 running focused days while not abandoning strength training. Be prepared to make fewer gains to your squat, bench, deadlift, press as you train, because your recovery may be compromised by the harder runs.

Check out this post by Andy Baker, a prior Marine infantryman.

Military Programming

Specifically:
    I'm never gonna tell you to put your Squat above your career. Do what you need to do to get your promotions and strength train as best you can on top of that. Its not like if you can't squat 3x/week for a couple of months you're going to turn into an Anorexic Praying Mantis.
    and

Mon - Lift
    Tues - Distance Run + Chins
    Thurs - Lift
    Fri - Distance Run + Chins
    Sat - Sprint Intervals (200-800m repeats)
    The spirit of what Coach Will Morris said earlier is awesome; once you are stably in your profession and can meet a respectable test standard, you should strength train to your heart's content and not let a departmental culture that is excessively in favor of running or group PT dissuade you from gaining muscle and strength. But while you are preparing for this academy, which is implementing new standards and likely increasing the stringent screening processes based on an American department model, you'll want to excel at the skills they test so that you're hired and competitive. Once hired and experienced, you will know whether you're the kind of dude who can whip out a really solid PFT performance with a bare minimum of training or if your run fitness is so deficient relative to your lifts that you need a more structured prep period.

If you have agreement between the two testing methods, it is likely near your real body fat %. Clean up the diet.

10m and 100m times will respond best to increased strength and technique.

starting strength coach development program
    Question of curiousity...when you say mid-400s are you referring to a 1RM, for reps, or sets across?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast