starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Strength training with cardio

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappey1 View Post
    Coach Rip I might not have 40 years training experience. But I do have lots of experience passing PT test to qualify for things including police academies.

Here is another story for you. When I was in the Navy I wanted to try out for the Navy Seals (as many young sailors dream about). To submit a competitive application you had to get your 1.5 miles down to 10:30.

At this time I weighed about 220 could squat low 400's for a 5 rep with decent form, deadlift mid 400 and bench about 315. I could not get my run time down to below 11 minutes. My strength increased, endurance increased my pull ups improved but I could not get that run time down.

As time went on my squat, deadlifts and bench all went up in weight. You know what did not improve by much?

My run time.

I think the best I ended up running was about 10:45 or so. In hindsight I can see that it did not matter how much I could lift or how far I could run I should have been training for speed at least once a week.

In one of your books you even talk about lifting and sports. You say you have to practice the skills required for that specific sport. Does strength help? Sure it does but if you do not practice the specific skill required then no matter how strong you are you will suck at the sport.

Like it or not running is a sport the requires specific practice to achieve a decent level at it.

If you think I'm not "very bright" because I don't fan boy over everything you say. Then maybe you should reevaluate what you think is very bright.
    I did that same pst at around ~205 bw. Best 1.5m run was 8:46. Cant remember my 500m combat side stroke time, but it was competitive. 90 something pushup, 17 pullups, cant remember situps other than bouncing my torso off the ground for time. Got to do a workout with goggins though a few months after he had his heart fixed - he laughed at us while breezing through 500 3 count jumping jacks to start the workout!

If you think I'm not "very bright" because I don't fan boy over everything you say. Then maybe you should reevaluate what you think is very bright.

He thinks you are not very bright, because you have been making logical errors proceeding from false assumptions or inaccurate premises. Slow down, go back through it and figure out what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My advice earlier in this thread is based on 40+ years of training people, and is considerably better than n=1. Dr. Morris was agreeing with me based on his personal experience.
    Some of the specifics couldn't be made any plainer, but there are frequent issues with this question. Maybe, we need to try to figure out a better way to present the argument and the data?

As a side note: Even the NSCA argues in their books that resistance training will improve the run times of recreational runners (runners who do not compete).

Don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1966, I scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against my old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.

I mean this in the kindest way. But this is the internet. This is why I was hesitant to post any stories with out video evidence to back it up. This exact thing is why I started recording my lifts.
    Meh; I've seen enough of MAJ Morris's lifting videos to know that if he says he can do X, he can do X.

On the other hand, he's a bit of a genetic outlier compared to genpop, much as he might deny it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    On the other hand, he's a bit of a genetic outlier compared to genpop, much as he might deny it.
    Absolute hogwash. If anything, I may know how to work harder or place myself in more danger than the genpop.

I think a lot of debate has passed. I couldn't interpret a few sentences because I wasn't used to high-quality conversation.

Anyway, I'm running little by little because it's true that I have to practice running. I try to run for at least 10 minutes when I do not barbell training(Tue/Thu/Sat).

And is there anyone here who's good at police baton or .38 special shooting? I think I need to get to know the level of common sense before going to the academy. I've served in the army, so I know how to use a rifle, but I don't know how to use a pistol.

Also, is there any additional exercise that the police need? In my opinion, To be good at shooting and police baton, I will need additional exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Hanjin View Post
    I think a lot of debate has passed. I couldn't interpret a few sentences because I wasn't used to high-quality conversation.

Anyway, I'm running little by little because it's true that I have to practice running. I try to run for at least 10 minutes when I do not barbell training(Tue/Thu/Sat).

And is there anyone here who's good at police baton or .38 special shooting? I think I need to get to know the level of common sense before going to the academy. I've served in the army, so I know how to use a rifle, but I don't know how to use a pistol.

Also, is there any additional exercise that the police need? In my opinion, To be good at shooting and police baton, I will need additional exercise.
    I am not a police officer, but my brother is, and has taught hand-to-hand combat--or what police call "defensive tactics"--at the academy and in his department. I don't think they spend nearly enough time on training with a baton that you would need any special fitness for it (although my brother would say that the old-fashioned straight baton is a good tool they should work on more). I think more time is spent on grappling/control techniques and basic striking. My brother was just complaining to me that they get candidates who have little athletic background at all; if you are reasonably strong and in-shape then I wouldn't think fitness will be an obstacle.

As for .38, almost all departments have gone to modern automatic pistols, usually in 9mm. Glocks are very common. Few if any are using old-school .38 revolvers, is my impression, at least in the U.S.

Anyway, if you want to research further, I think "police defensive tactics training" would be a good start for a google search.

What tompaynter mostly said, plus some additional considerations and food for thought:

Tak Kubota wrote an excellent book on the police baton. The old school straight baton rather than the PR-24 (or tonfa) that became the shit hot ticket for police here in the US back in the 70's. All that said, whatever skills you may develop or acquire on your own, the academy you attend may have an entirely different approach to using a baton. You may have to unlearn what you painstakingly practiced.

You will probably find the same is true of shooting skills. Other than learning to draw, get a good and fast sight picture, and keeping your shots in the upper center mass, you may have to start over entirely on the rest.

As another n=1 in support of what Coach Rippetoe and Coach Morris have stated, I too have found that an increase in strength has led to an increase in speed for mid-distance running.

When I was a bit younger, ok, quite a bit younger my best mile time was 7:28. I went through a strength building phase of lifting weights which included badly performed squats and deadlifts. My overall strength increased and my mile time dropped to a 5:12. At the same time my 10k time was 40:18 and my 1/2 marathon time on a non-flat course was 89.37.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345