starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength training with cardio

Question Strength training with cardio

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip

First of all, I'd like to express my gratitude to you. Thanks to your book, I became interested in sports and passed the police exam this time. If it weren't for you, I would have lived a life where I didn't know what honor was.

But as I prepared for the police exam, I realized that my cardiopulmonary endurance was weak. My strength was better than the other competitors(Even though I'm still doing some rudimentary strength training), but I was definitely weak in running.

Your book really details how to gain weight and improve strength. But now I'm in a situation where I have to reduce body fat(27% now), increase cardiopulmonary endurance, and improve strength.

I'd like to add the cardio workout to your proposed training method, but what do you think would be the best way to do it?

Thank you for reading me because I am not good at English. Regards,

You have done well, Mr. Kim. I assume your work requires some running that you cannot do. Please provide the details. Your bodyfat must be addressed with dietary changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Hanjin View Post

I'd like to add the cardio workout to your proposed training method, but what do you think would be the best way to do it?
    At various times in my life I have had to pass running test to qualify. First when I was in the service and then when I got out to qualify as a DOD policeman. I have also ran all kinds of various distance races.

I always approach running training the same way as I approach weight training. First I get a baseline for the distance I need to run/want to run (if it is a shorter distance under 5 miles or so). Then I start running either twice or 3 times per week.

Each time I run I try to either 1)decrees my time or 2)Increase my distance. I will switch off between the two each work out. So if you were running twice a week 1 day is to increase speed the other day is to increase distance.

Make sure that you keep an accurate running log to make sure you are making progress. I would also work on getting my body fat to around 20%. Running will help with this but you might also need to look at your diet. Loosing weight especially from body fat helps with running and endurance. Be prepared for your lifts to go down as running increases.

I hope this helps

Running normal distances for conditioning does nothing for bodyfat reduction. Running tests can be passed by people who are already in training shape with about 4 runs prior to the test. That's why I wanted the details.

I would train running way more then 4 times before going for a job that requires a decent run time for a ranking system/ qualifications for candidates based on run times. I would say minimum 10-20 good sessions if time permits.

If all you have to do is pass then 4 times might be okay......

I would always run after my lifting workouts.

If you like to run, run. But I'm waiting on the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Running normal distances for conditioning does nothing for bodyfat reduction. Running tests can be passed by people who are already in training shape with about 4 runs prior to the test. That's why I wanted the details.
    If I keep my squat in the mid 400s or higher, I can run two miles without any train up in the low to mid 14s. If I let squat get weaker, I run a little slower. At most, I’ll run two times before the PT test. When someone makes me do something stupid like run 5 miles for morale, I am easily able to keep up with the masses. If I were to run a few more times before the test, I may run in the high 13s, but I just choose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have done well, Mr. Kim. I assume your work requires some running that you cannot do. Please provide the details. Your bodyfat must be addressed with dietary changes.
    When I took the physical exam(Spike shoes were allowed, but I was just wearing running shoes), the record was, 100 m sprint - 14.6 seconds, 1000 m run - 3 min 42 seconds, as you see, It's terrible.

Here is my profile by InBody

Body weight : 82.1 kg (181 lbs)
    Height : 176 cm (5'9.2")
    Skeletal Muscle Mass : 34 kg (75 lbs)
    Body Fat Mass : 22.2 kg (49 lbs)
    BMI : 26.6
    Percent Body Fat : 27.1%

And I have a little high blood pressure(Approximately 130/80). The physician said, "It's not high blood pressure not yet, but if you reduce body fat a lot, your blood pressure will go down to normal", "You must reduce your body weight"

My dietary is real suck. I just ate anything I could see. KFC, Mc donald, Buger King, Pizza....... Now I'm going to learn some cooking and change it.

Also, it has been a long time since I took a break barbell training, so I am starting again. Because For my exam, I do exercise, not barbell training

Before the exam PR(When I was 92 kg(203 lbs), I lost some weight to prepare for the exam, but I still have to lose mmmmmmmmmmmmmore.)
    Squat 1 rm : 155 kg (341 lbs)
    Bench 1 rm : 90 kg (198 lbs)
    DL 1 rm(with strap) : 155 kg (341 lbs)

Now(This is not PR, just training weight)

Squat 5 rm : 112.5 kg (248 lbs)
    Bench 5 rm : 70 kg (154 lbs)
    DL 5 rm : 120 kg (264 lbs)

I haven't entered the police academy yet, so I have some time to spare. I will be admitted next month. As I know, The exam will be three months from now.

I haven't done anything other than lift and do a few minutes of prowler or burpees at the end of my workouts for years now. No running whatsoever. A few months ago I listened to a David Goggins podcast and said fuck it, I'm going for a run. I ran 6.5 miles. It kicked my ass and I felt like dog shit for the next week and I have had zero desire to do it again anytime soon. The win however, was that I was able to do it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Hanjin View Post
    I haven't entered the police academy yet, so I have some time to spare. I will be admitted next month. As I know, The exam will be three months from now.
    Have you been accepted into the academy? Or is this exam in three months the barrier to entry?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast