starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hidden Gains?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you have SI joint problems, leg presses are the worst thing you can do for it. Think about why.

I see that you haven't read the book. Read the book. Do the program. Type later.
    Will do. Thanks for the help!

Default Returning to Strength Training at 53+

Hi

I trained with weights (SQ, DL etc) a very long time ago. If I start again, do I start with SS phase I, phase II etc? Or do I go to something more advanced?

More details:
    I trained regularly from ages 35 to 45 more or less. Then on and off most of the time. I used the techniques for Squat and DL described in SS. But if I remember well I was doing Bill Staar and other programs, not the phaseI, phase II described here. I liked to do Barbel Rows, Deeps etc.

I am now 53+ years old and my strength is about -40% from my personal best. During the summer of 2019 I spent 1 month with intense weights training with the following program:
    day 1: Press, biceps,triceps.
    day 2: Dead Lift and Leg Press (no Squat rack available).
    day 3: Off
    day4: Chest, Back
    day5: Off

I made very good gains, every workout I added more weight to the bar.

Read this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstrain View Post
    Gaining weight is not a problem for me. If I didn’t constantly watch what I eat I would be 300lbs by this time next year lol.
    This will be less of a problem than you think if you double your squat. I’ve gained a lot of weight since I decided to take the plunge and do a correct LP with enough calories. I recently found the same jeans I used to wear in college at a bodyweight fifty pounds lower. Was expecting a struggle, but put them on and they fit just fine.

To kill a straw man real quick, you’re not going to put on forty pounds of muscle, but you’ll put on a lot of lean bodyweight, which includes other useful tissue. This will not only lower your body fat percentage, it will give you a bigger engine that burns more fuel. But you have to do it right. Lots of material in the books, some more on this website, and some of the coaches have podcasts and other resources. An investment in this right now will be a big help later.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    This will be less of a problem than you think if you double your squat. I’ve gained a lot of weight since I decided to take the plunge and do a correct LP with enough calories. I recently found the same jeans I used to wear in college at a bodyweight fifty pounds lower. Was expecting a struggle, but put them on and they fit just fine.

To kill a straw man real quick, you’re not going to put on forty pounds of muscle, but you’ll put on a lot of lean bodyweight, which includes other useful tissue. This will not only lower your body fat percentage, it will give you a bigger engine that burns more fuel. But you have to do it right. Lots of material in the books, some more on this website, and some of the coaches have podcasts and other resources. An investment in this right now will be a big help later.
    Thanks. I was just trying to convey to the member that I am not a hard gainer. By his post, he made it seem like I have been doing everything I can to get up to 200lbs, when in fact the opposite is true. I have bulked three times from 190-215 and all I have to do is stop being so strict on my diet and in 2-3 months I am up 25 lbs. Since I am pushing my self in the gym ( while getting stronger) I know it is not 25 lbs of fat. I can only assume it will be the same, if not better, with SS.

starting strength coach development program
    For some reason, you're still typing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12