starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruised my rib when using a belt

Default Bruised my rib when using a belt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

I's pretty new to weightlifting in general and to SS in particular. I began your program around 2 weeks ago and currently squat 250. I started using a belt (best belt - 3") 4 workouts ago. Last night during my third set of squats in the downward phase i felt a sharp pain the vicinity of my lower left rib. I finished the set and even did my deadlifts (1 set of 280) but the pain was sharp so i needed to take my time between reps. Could it be that i did something wrong with my belt (position, tightness) or that i didn'
    t brace good enough that led to this? Also, should i continue the workouts as usual?

Thanks

You might have had the belt too high in front, at the wrong angle. Unless you plan to stop training, you'd better learn to place the belt correctly, at the correct tightness, and continue to train.

Man, I did that once, belt too high.

Luckily it was only agonizing for like, three weeks, and only when I moved, or stayed still.

I just did this as well a week and a half ago. I've only managed to workout once since then as the rib hurt very bad.

Is there an article or a video about the right way to put on a belt?

My ribs are very close to the iliac crest, and that makes using a belt correctly difficult for me, especially when I am leaner (a 3" belt certainly helps).

After I hurt myself the same way you did, I started doing the following: at the start of each set I put on the belt as described in the article, and, before I unrack, I do an air squat, as described in the blue book. This way I can check the position of the belt without hurting myself, and, if necessary, correct it. It is mildly annoying, and I don't know if Rip would approve, but so far it has worked well for me. I hope this helps!

Unless you dislocated your rib (doubtful) there’s not much anyone can do to fix it but you should be good in a month or so. I’ve done this before in the exact same way. Definitely continue to train however you can (lighten the load a bit). You might find that you can squat without a belt easier - the belt putting pressure on it might feel like hell (I know that a few days after I hurt mine I could squat ~75% of my previous weight without a belt). Deadlifting will probably be ok without a belt, benching is easy, pressing is likely a no go (based on my n=1 sample size).

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    Unless you dislocated your rib (doubtful) there’s not much anyone can do to fix it but you should be good in a month or so. I’ve done this before in the exact same way. Definitely continue to train however you can (lighten the load a bit). You might find that you can squat without a belt easier - the belt putting pressure on it might feel like hell (I know that a few days after I hurt mine I could squat ~75% of my previous weight without a belt). Deadlifting will probably be ok without a belt, benching is easy, pressing is likely a no go (based on my n=1 sample size).
    Thanks, interestingly the pain started getting better at first, but since yesterday has gotten much worse

starting strength coach development program
    Better get it checked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast