starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength Radio #36: The Two-Factor Model, part 2: CrossFit, Kettlebells, FT

Default Starting Strength Radio #36: The Two-Factor Model, part 2: CrossFit, Kettlebells, FT

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

What is your opinion on incorporating kettlebell swings for conditioning? I haven’t broken down and gotten a prowler yet.

Depends on how sore you want to be, and how much soreness you want to recover from. Kettlebells make you sore, the prowler does not.

You've mentioned a few times over the last few podcasts that a marathoner will benefit from squats, etc.

I have no desire to run a marathon, but what general programming would, or have, you recommended to incorporate SS with marathon training? Based on what I have read here and heard on the podcast, the two aren't compatible.

Also, and maybe for another Q&A, my son and I are going to see Pete T in Orlando on 12/31 (can't wait). Son is in HS football. How does he navigate what his coaches are teaching him (prob incorrectly) and/or bad programming? (I will ask Pete too.)

The runner starts with an empty bar for sets of 5 and goes up, like everybody else.

The high school football player is at the mercy of complete idiots, and will be as long as he's there. If he wants to play, he does what he's told. Just hope they don't tell him to rape the dog.

Thanks for the reply. Re the marathon runner, if he/she is running 20-40 miles per week in preparation for the race, do you recommend they lift 3x/week, or is lifting with 2-3 days recovery acceptable? Question is more of a programming/timing focus vs strength increases. (I did 3x/week training for a mile TT, and my progress was subdued).

And I will tell him to avoid the dog.

This actually brings up another question, again maybe for a Q&A pod..... I am assuming with this question that you don't work directly with any sports teams (doesn't matter the level). If that's true, what's your opinion of why that is? (I'd think that those decision makers don't want to take a risk, going away from 'functional training' is the risk.)

starting strength coach development program
    She needs to squat twice a week, just the bar at first, and go up in 5lb jumps.

Re: High School Coaches, think of the question this way: Why can a school system not attract people of above-average intelligence for coaching positions, especially those assistant-type positions that get told to be the "strength coach"?