starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it productive to keep hold of the bar throughout a DL set ?

Default Is it productive to keep hold of the bar throughout a DL set ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    One of those 'how to deadlift videos' came up on my YT feed. The guy advocated just standing up after each completed rep of a deadlift, resetting, taking hold and pulling. There was no active rest period between reps-no more than if he had just kept hold of the bar throughout the set. It got me wondering about the need to keep bent over whilst staying hold of the bar during a set, the weight isn't being held in any sense like it would with squat, Bench and press, so is it just pointless discomfort, rather than being productive to stay in that position. Wouldn't it be better to return to the standing position ?

I've done it both ways, and the advantage of starting each rep like a single is that you can get a bigger breath at the top and carry it down to the bar with a tighter back. IF you can make sure to set the back without exhaling.

Interesting - if a trainee starts to wither mid set would you prefer they stand up and take a few breaths between the last rep or two, or stay in cadence and grind them out?

Since deadlifts are not aerobic, the timing between reps should remain constant.

This is how my girlfriend usually does her sets, and she manages to keep them honest, but in the past when I’ve tried this I’ve noticed my sets taking longer and longer as the weight went up, meaning they weren’t really sets at that point. Just a couple extra data points for your consideration.

I meant in terms of atp replenishment; a short 10-15s rest if it looks like the last rep may fail or get sloppy.

The set can be finished with time between reps held constant. It has to be trained that way to produce this adaptation. This means that last rep will be harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    IF you can make sure to set the back without exhaling.
    In your experience does that take a lot of practice.

About 1 set should be enough. Please tell me you know how to set your low back already.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    About 1 set should be enough. Please tell me you know how to set your low back already.
    Absolutely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast