starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking About Getting a Coach

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Andy has enough free stuff on his site and YouTube to carry you a long way ...study it

Way farther than any 20 year old kid in some gym that “benches 300”

And you don’t need a super custom program at your age anyway, just use his guidelines and figure out what works for you

Don’t be mentally lazy

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    Don’t be mentally lazy
    Too late!

Brody, at 19 and not even done with LP, you probably don't need a custom program.

When I was 21, I didn't know much about programming and I just did the Texas Method straight out of Practical Programming. I ate my food, slept, did the workouts, and added 5lb a week to my lifts for a while. I don't mean this to sound condescending, just matter of fact, but 19-year olds going through LP aren't usually unique enough to justify a custom program.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Yeah, but the young crave complexity and variety. They have loads of time to go about experimenting, getting bored, trying something else, not getting immediate results, getting bored and beginning the cycle over again. There are very few who are focused enough to keep greasing the same wheels day after day, so you might as well just humour them. Either they will decide to get serious, or they will take up something else.

And "kids these days" have been taught to have a short attention span and to expect immediate gratification. I respect any of them who can overcome this indoctrination.

Is this one of those stupid social media coaches that charges for ebooks and shit? That's a racket.
    Don't know where you live but plan a vacation to spend a couple days with any SS coach and you will reap a lifetime of benefit from it.

WTF. If you have the PPST3 and you don't have money for a coach just follow the templates in PPST3. Its all laid out for you in clear detail. If you are worried about form just post some vids on the forum here for free evaluations. Save that money for steaks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And "kids these days" have been taught to have a short attention span and to expect immediate gratification. I respect any of them who can overcome this indoctrination.
    I know a few in my own gym who started early and have continued training. When I chat to them, their maturity comes across, despite them only being in their early 20s and there being a 40 year gap or so between us. They say you generally can't put an old head on younger shoulders, but those focused 'young 'uns' are definitely bridging that gap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12