starting strength gym

Thread: Weekend Archives: Phil Ringman: Why I stopped Running After 51 Years

Default Weekend Archives: Phil Ringman: Why I stopped Running After 51 Years

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I remember reading this article the first time it was posted and being impressed.
    Phil, how is strength training going for you with another year plus under your belt?
    Sparky

Default Response to Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I remember reading this article the first time it was posted and being impressed.
    Phil, how is strength training going for you with another year plus under your belt?
    Sparky
    It has been a little under two years since I stopped running, and a little over a year since I wrote the article. I hoped that after stopping running, my lifts would, somehow, quickly and significantly increase. Not the case. Probably due to being 63 years old then, and now 65. And the easy, novice gains were already behind me.

I have had two annual physicals with my MD since I stopped running and my lab work each time has been just as good, or slightly, but not statistically significantly better, than while I was running. I don't watch my diet and have a fondness for Dr Pepper, but my weight has not changed in the two years. Doc was impressed that my weight was actually slightly lower (less than a pound), versus a year earlier.

I have gone from squatting twice a week, to squatting only once a week and deadlifting on a different day. I think largely because of that schedule change, my deadlift has noticeably moved up, with a 325x4 in December, and a couple of singles at 335 earlier in the year. The squat is my worst lift in terms of form, resetting a couple of times to work on form and depth. I think I still have some PRs ahead in the deadlift and squat. I push the sled twice a week for cardio.

It all sounds very positive to me. I think you have to remember you are not a spring chicken anymore and yet your still picking up heavy weights. That's pretty awesome in my eyes. I'm 48 and can only hope I can continue to hit those numbers as I age.
    Do you press and bench press and the lat pull down too or just keep it at squats and deadlift and sled?
    As a former Marathoner I do not miss the training at all, just the camaraderie of a big race and hanging with friends during it. I however love training for strength.
    Do you miss the running at all?
    Sparky

I do press and bench press. I've gone back and forth between just pressing, and alternating the press and bench press. I was doing lat pull downs, but recently dropped those in favor of the bench press, mainly due to time constraints, but thinking about adding lat pulls back in. (I realize those are not substitutes for each other.) Right now my schedule is: M - press, deadlift and sled, Thur - squat, bench press, and sometimes sled, Sat. - sled only. I do each lift 1x per week. The main thing I miss abut running is the races, and the t-shirts. I have to buy workout t-shirts now since I'm no longer getting them in races.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like a nice training plan Phil. Thanks for responding and keep up the good work and continue to get strong!
    Sparky