starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan / Pavel “Which is best - barbell or kettlebell or machines?”

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    I don't believe in New Years resolutions but this year I decided I am going to give it a shot. My press is stuck so I just reset and as progress slows I plan to just add 1lb a week for as long as I can and see how far that gets me. I'll start a new thread when I get stuck, with the details. That is my New Years resolution. Not to get greedy and microload the press weekly and see how far I get.
    That is what I am doing right now, bought the incremental plates and it’s worked great, put 5lbs on my press in two weeks.

"there are problems with the inaccuracy of plate weights that obscure the value of microloading"
    I marked a set of plates and try to keep them over by the squat rack. If the staff noticed, they never said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    "there are problems with the inaccuracy of plate weights that obscure the value of microloading"
    I marked a set of plates and try to keep them over by the squat rack. If the staff noticed, they never said anything.
    I have had this same problem, but this is only a problem when you train at a commercial gym. I finally built out my garage gym and now I have complete control of the exact weight I load.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Back in the 70s a few of us did that to some plates in a Chicago Health Club in Lombard, IL. We weighed those shiny chromed plates and marked the actual number with a Sharpie and found them 2-3 lbs. high or low. The staff never figgered out just who did it, but they were profoundly pissed off and threatened to terminate the membership of any if they ever caught or found out who did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Back in the 70s a few of us did that to some plates in a Chicago Health Club in Lombard, IL. We weighed those shiny chromed plates and marked the actual number with a Sharpie and found them 2-3 lbs. high or low. The staff never figgered out just who did it, but they were profoundly pissed off and threatened to terminate the membership of any if they ever caught or found out who did it.
    I think there's no reason to weigh them. Just use the same ones each time. My gym unfortunately (actually fortunately) has many squat racks and weights are continually shifted from station to station. Marking would be easy but finding and shifting them would be challenging.

The staff at the Waynesboro Y are, as a rule, nice folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He sells kettlebells, I sell barbells. Kinda predictable.
    Pavel sells barbell training too. From his site:

"The kettlebell is the entry point into strength. Properly used, it teaches priceless movement lessons that prepare you for safe and effective barbell training. But the kettlebell can only go so far in development of absolute strength. Enter the Barbell Course."

Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post

"The kettlebell is the entry point into strength. Properly used, it teaches priceless movement lessons that prepare you for safe and effective barbell training. But the kettlebell can only go so far in development of absolute strength. Enter the Barbell Course."
    In other words: Once you graduate from buying my Kettlebell stuff, you need to buy my barbell stuff.
    Pavels cool....but he's a sales guy.

starting strength coach development program
    Haven't done a turkish getup in 2 years until yesterday.

Previous 1rm was 100lb kettlebell - this time i only had access to dumbells that were heavier. got 120 for a single... but where did all this "functional" strength come from? all I've been doing is barbell lifts!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast