Joe Rogan / Pavel “Which is best - barbell or kettlebell or machines?” - Page 4

starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Joe Rogan / Pavel “Which is best - barbell or kettlebell or machines?”

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    4

    Default

    • wichita falls texas march seminar date
    • woodmere new york april seminar date
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    I don't believe in New Years resolutions but this year I decided I am going to give it a shot. My press is stuck so I just reset and as progress slows I plan to just add 1lb a week for as long as I can and see how far that gets me. I'll start a new thread when I get stuck, with the details. That is my New Years resolution. Not to get greedy and microload the press weekly and see how far I get.
    That is what I am doing right now, bought the incremental plates and it’s worked great, put 5lbs on my press in two weeks.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Village of Afton, Virginia
    Posts
    550

    Default

    "there are problems with the inaccuracy of plate weights that obscure the value of microloading"
    I marked a set of plates and try to keep them over by the squat rack. If the staff noticed, they never said anything.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    "there are problems with the inaccuracy of plate weights that obscure the value of microloading"
    I marked a set of plates and try to keep them over by the squat rack. If the staff noticed, they never said anything.
    I have had this same problem, but this is only a problem when you train at a commercial gym. I finally built out my garage gym and now I have complete control of the exact weight I load.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    "there are problems with the inaccuracy of plate weights that obscure the value of microloading"
    I marked a set of plates and try to keep them over by the squat rack. If the staff noticed, they never said anything.
    Back in the 70s a few of us did that to some plates in a Chicago Health Club in Lombard, IL. We weighed those shiny chromed plates and marked the actual number with a Sharpie and found them 2-3 lbs. high or low. The staff never figgered out just who did it, but they were profoundly pissed off and threatened to terminate the membership of any if they ever caught or found out who did it.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Back in the 70s a few of us did that to some plates in a Chicago Health Club in Lombard, IL. We weighed those shiny chromed plates and marked the actual number with a Sharpie and found them 2-3 lbs. high or low. The staff never figgered out just who did it, but they were profoundly pissed off and threatened to terminate the membership of any if they ever caught or found out who did it.
    I think there's no reason to weigh them. Just use the same ones each time. My gym unfortunately (actually fortunately) has many squat racks and weights are continually shifted from station to station. Marking would be easy but finding and shifting them would be challenging.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Village of Afton, Virginia
    Posts
    550

    Default

    The staff at the Waynesboro Y are, as a rule, nice folks.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He sells kettlebells, I sell barbells. Kinda predictable.
    Pavel sells barbell training too. From his site:

    "The kettlebell is the entry point into strength. Properly used, it teaches priceless movement lessons that prepare you for safe and effective barbell training. But the kettlebell can only go so far in development of absolute strength. Enter the Barbell Course."

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    40,692

    Default

    Yeah.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post

    "The kettlebell is the entry point into strength. Properly used, it teaches priceless movement lessons that prepare you for safe and effective barbell training. But the kettlebell can only go so far in development of absolute strength. Enter the Barbell Course."
    In other words: Once you graduate from buying my Kettlebell stuff, you need to buy my barbell stuff.
    Pavels cool....but he's a sales guy.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    311

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Haven't done a turkish getup in 2 years until yesterday.

    Previous 1rm was 100lb kettlebell - this time i only had access to dumbells that were heavier. got 120 for a single... but where did all this "functional" strength come from? all I've been doing is barbell lifts!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •