starting strength gym

Thread: NSAIDs during chin up rehab

Default NSAIDs during chin up rehab

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip-

When using the chin up rehab method for tendonitis, is the use of NSAIDs counteracting the work of the exercise? I'm intentionally encouraging inflammation of the body part around the tendon, then taking a drug to keep inflammation at bay in order to make the pain less distracting. Seems that I should be avoiding the drug and allowing the body to work itself out. Is that inline with your thinking?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Dave

Correct. If you can't get to sleep, take it before bed only.

Assuming you have no liver disease why not just take acetaminophen (Arthritis strength Tylenol) for the pain?
    No anti-inflammatory action.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Assuming you have no liver disease why not just take acetaminophen (Arthritis strength Tylenol) for the pain?
    No anti-inflammatory action.
    Tylenol is a fantastic first line medication for aches and pains.

Thanks guys. I have some elbow tendonitis and I just started the rehab protocol. As yet the pain is tolerable so I'm not taking anything for it. Thanks also for the advice about tylenol, apparently I underappreciate that particular drug.

starting strength coach development program
    Question on the pin firing approach - how much worse is it supposed to get during the process before it starts getting better?

I have a recurring small issue with what appears to be my left bracioradialis. I can usually do weighted chins without any issue and so it rarely gets in the way of real training. When I feel it is typically when doing sort of accessory stuff that is easy enough to swap out for something that doesn't bother it. For example, weighted chins are no problem, but I cannot do 1 unweighted pull up with an overhand grip without it hurting. However, about 2 weeks ago I felt it while chinning and later that week it stopped me benching as scheduled as I could not control the bar on the way down. That was when I started the protocol. I'm up to around 15 triples and it's now so inflamed that I couldn't get through my press session earlier this week due to the pain in the loaded pronated position at the bottom of the rep.

Do I suck it up, take what I can on the bench and press during this time, and push through with the expectation that it will soon start to get better? Or do I need to reevaluate what is going on with it?