starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Game Changers: Vegan Propaganda | Starting Strength Radio #38

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    But quick serious question for the panel: which is worse, given the typical american diet....
    I’ve seen people pull off both - usually somewhat intense personalities, as mentioned in the program. I have only seen vegans wind up in the hospital being asked to change their diets. After this trip, they usually add fish and sometimes chicken back in, from which point they tend to eat a lot better than they initially did, having had the experience of eating mostly junk and finding out it is not so fun in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    I have only seen vegans wind up in the hospital being asked to change their diets.
    Do you have data on this? ^ I never heard of a single case of someone being hospitalized for 'vejjenism'.

Having talked to a few people who have tried going vegan/vegetarian, and gave up, is they say they wound up having a more well rounded diet afterwards.

They're eating more vegetables, grains, greens, whole foods, etc. along with their meat(s).

I don't see a failed 'predominately meat' or diet specific on fats going the same way.

I wonder what happens to all the people who fail "going KETO".

(If you can't tell already, I am anti-diet; as if any kind of 'diet'. We could define 'diet' as, if there is a book written on it)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-manslaughter/

But you're right, not "the hospital."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-manslaughter/

But you're right, not "the hospital."

eh ... I can't read the article because pay wall.
    But I can see some of the first bits and pieces.

I'd chalk it up to the same class misguided parenting when a kid doesn't get their vaccinations/shots (and dies)
    because the parents don't trust the government because "bad science" or something.

-----------------------

EDIT: found another source for your article (i think).
    Sounds like all their kids were underweight; the baby probably died from a lack of calories/overall malnutrition.
    I don't think the vegan diet was a direct contributor to the baby's death.

"This is just pRoPAGanDa !!!"

I ate some beef jerky while watching this, it was extra delicious.

I find it fascinating that the same people who scream about the sustainability of meat production willingly ignore the fact that a vegan diet is not at all sustainable on any scale, certainly not a global one. Not to mention that it's inordinately expensive on an individual scale to get adequate nutrients on a vegan diet (which I heard Stef bring up a few times, but it wasn't really discussed further).

A very brief overview of a study comparing large-scale sustainability of various diets here: Going Vegan Isn'''t the Most Sustainable Option for Humanity | NOVA | PBS | NOVA | PBS. "If modern agriculture in the U.S. were adjusted to the vegan diet, according to the study in Elementa , we’d be able to feed 735 million people—and that’s from a purely land-use perspective. Compare that to the dairy-friendly vegetarian diet, which could feed 807 million people. Even partially omnivorous diets rank above veganism in terms of sustainability; incorporating about 20 to 40% meat in your diet is actually better for the long-term course of humanity than being completely meat-free."

Further evidence we should need a license to procreate

Of course it was. The parents thought they were feeding the kids vegan. Obviously. But I'll let you win if it's important.

eh ... I can't read the article because pay wall.
    But I can see some of the first bits and pieces.

I'd chalk it up to the same class misguided parenting when a kid doesn't get their vaccinations/shots (and dies)
    because the parents don't trust the government because "bad science" or something.

-----------------------

EDIT: found another source for your article (i think).
    Sounds like all their kids were underweight; the baby probably died from a lack of calories/overall malnutrition.

"This is just pRoPAGanDa !!!"
    “I don’t think” , “probably died because of”. Who gives a rats dried shit what you think? What can you prove and what does the evidence say? That’s all that matters. If you have more information on the case Rip cited then please tell us. If not, reread my second sentence.

starting strength coach development program
    Do you have data on this? ^ I never heard of a single case of someone being hospitalized for 'vejjenism'.
    I don’t. It’s all friends of mine who have tried it, so it’s all anecdote, and I’m not going to put any of their personal information on here. It’s not hard to find stories like this if you do a Google search for them, though. That being said, being from the Northwest, I know more people who have stayed vegan or at least vegetarian than people who have gone off it due to health complications. At the same time, I also know people who have gone low-carb with manifestly awful diets (what is “keto pizza,” you might ask?) and haven’t heard of any similar experiences from them.

One thing that’s pointed out on the podcast that’s worth mentioning is that people really have absolutely no idea what healthy food looks like. Among my friends who struggle to lose body fat, this tends to be the gap I see - lots of avocado and juices and wraps and soft drinks and “healthy” snack foods plus a couple vegetables and little meat. I have a coworker who regularly eats a cucumber for dinner but has an avocado smoothie for breakfast that sounds like it’s close to 1,000 empty calories. I think this is generally what happens to people who go vegan and get sick - the meat in their diet carries most of the nutrition they eat, and once it’s out they’re just consuming empty calories, junk, and a few low-calorie vegetables that aren’t doing much beyond preventing scurvy at that point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast