starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Game Changers: Vegan Propaganda | Starting Strength Radio #38

Default The Game Changers: Vegan Propaganda | Starting Strength Radio #38

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

The last one I remember was "What the Health" back in 2017(?). Same deal. Netflix documentary that a ton of people watched. I had just finished my BS in General Biology, and my memory was still fresh with the Krebs Cycle and the like (I couldnt believe it either) when I watched it.
    It was full of nice animations of spiky little necro-meat cells zooming through the bloodstream and tearing holes in everything. Leaving out facts where convenient. Blatantly lying about biochemical processes. Drinking milk is institutionalized racism.. Yeah, 2 hours of that.

I'm honestly not happy to see another one of these, despite how entertaining their logical olympics may be.

I didn't like the movie, nor am I pro "veejan",
    And yeah, I see all the bad science, and being lied to, and all that for the sake of selling a bunch soy products.

But quick serious question for the panel: which is worse, given the typical american diet....

#1- being duped by Game Changers, and switching to an all-plant diet?

or

#2- Hopping on Atkins et al, eating a bunch more meat and fat and severally restricting carbs?

I'd say #2 is worse. And #1 might lead to more positive outcomes more often that naught.
    Usually, there are a few important of other lifestyle changes that go along with #1 (precisely why the movie is bullshit, as you pointed out).
    You don't usually just wind up eating potatoes and dairy-free candy bars when you switch totaking on a "veejan" diet.
    Your diet, for the most part, gets .... better.

And, the Georrbles reference? that was pretty bad. Come on man, you're better than that !

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    And, the Georrbles(sic) reference? that was pretty bad. Come on man, you're better than that !
    No, I'm really not any better than they are.

Coach, I was expecting you to get a good laugh out of the boner test. What a blatant, obvious attempt to lure insecure young men into veganism for BONER GAINZ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I didn't like the movie, nor am I pro "veejan",
    And yeah, I see all the bad science, and being lied to, and all that for the sake of selling a bunch soy products.

But quick serious question for the panel: which is worse, given the typical american diet....

#1- being duped by Game Changers, and switching to an all-plant diet?

or

#2- Hopping on Atkins et al, eating a bunch more meat and fat and severally restricting carbs?

I'd say #2 is worse. And #1 might lead to more positive outcomes more often that naught.
    Usually, there are a few important of other lifestyle changes that go along with #1 (precisely why the movie is bullshit, as you pointed out).
    You don't usually just wind up eating potatoes and dairy-free candy bars when you switch totaking on a "veejan" diet.
    Your diet, for the most part, gets .... better.

And, the Georrbles reference? that was pretty bad. Come on man, you're better than that !
    #2 is better for a bazillion reasons, not least of which is the fucking contemptible use of the weaseley non-sensical term "plant based diet," which means what, exactly? Is beer and french fried "plant based"? What percentage of a meal needs to be "plant based in order to qualify? How about a big mac, fries and a coke where about 10% of the calories come from the meat patty and 90% from exclusively vejan sources - is that plant based enough for you?

No, the first indication this "fillum" was bullshit and ;ropogrnada should have been the refusal to define the meaningless term, "plant based"

If you think soy/gluten patties on a gluten free bun smeared with marjareen based mayonaise, and a side of quinoa chips washed down with an opaque soy-juice ersatz milk cocktail is the route to better health, over a beanless chili consisting of walmart ground beef, tomato sauce, spices and cheddar cheese, washed down by a pint glass of whole milk (if youre already a fat fuck go ahead and skip the milk) , well, sir....AIDS is coming your way.

Interestingly, for what it’s worth, the Wikipedia entry on this film is also highly critical of it: The Game Changers - Wikipedia

If you do decide to do a discussion on seed oils, it'd be good to have it extend beyond the obvious 'unstable and prone to oxidation' argument. While worth noting, there are also some interesting arguments to be made on PUFAs being poor substrates at the electron transport chain level and not conducive to being a signal for reactive oxygen species (ROS). Papers from Dave Speijer elaborate.

Some believe canola etc are healthy simply because they don't raise LDL, even by those who say the lipid hypothesis is bunkum. And yet Stearic fatty acids are ignored simply because they are saturated. One is natural, the other is not. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks for discussing the propaganda.

I tend to agree with the counterpoints made in the podcast. I also think What the Health was a little overboard as well. But what can we expect from a streaming service that puts out only one-sided propaganda like Living Undocumented?

Anyway, I’d like to hear what the board thinks about Fork Over Knives, as the material presented was a bit more scientifically backed and implemented in normal everyday people — not the genetic outliers. Incorporating a diet of most or all unprocessed foods from plant sources has been a shown to reverse heart disease and some cases of diabetes.

I realize the obvious caveats that these people had serious health issues and some needed to lose over 50 pounds. And the main cast members are all bean poles and not strength athletes.

I ask because I implemented a lot of the concepts from this movie and it lowered my cholesterol from 240 to 140 and restored my elevated liver enzymes back to normal. And I was eating all real food before, not crap like most people before they switch.

starting strength coach development program
    It is a great service to those who will listen to critically address a propaganda film like Game Changers. But, the problem is much bigger and is impossible to solve.

People were joining the cult of the snake in Conan the Barbarian's time, and they will join the cult of veganism today.

I take it as a reminder of why the Founding Fathers of the United States intended for the country to be a constitutional republic and never a democracy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast