starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Game Changers: Vegan Propaganda | Starting Strength Radio #38

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonFan9 View Post
    “I don’t think” , “probably died because of”. Who gives a rats dried shit what you think? What can you prove and what does the evidence say? That’s all that matters. If you have more information on the case Rip cited then please tell us. If not, reread my second sentence.
    The article I could see: "died of malnutrition".

From a 3rd article:
    Sheila and Ryan O’Leary told investigators that the vegan family only eats fruit, vegetables and raw foods, such as mangoes, rambutans, bananas and avocados, according to the News-Press. The parents supplemented the toddler's diet with breast milk.

The child, who was home-birthed, had never seen a doctor.

The couple turned themselves in to authorities on Nov. 6, after the medical examiner's office released its autopsy findings: the cause of death was malnutrition and complications, including dehydration, microsteatosis of liver, and swollen hands, feet and lower legs.

According to the probable cause statement, Sheila O’Leary told police her children were all home-schooled, though law enforcement could not find records of them actively enrolled in a home-school program.
    (I am fine w/ the homeschooling by the way, but the 2nd part of that sentence might be telling, coupled with the part about the baby never visited the doctor thing)

I don't think whether the baby was on soy formula, or breast milk (which the article said the mom was breastfeeding), or bovine milk was the acute cause of death.
    It would appear to be an overall lack of calories, and/or nutrition.
    The parents were likely kooks, and happened to have an affinity towards veganism.
    Well, the Venn diagram did overlap in this particular case just right.
    So presenting this unfortunate example of really bad parenting as "vejjenism will put your ass in the hospital and/or morgue" could be seen as ...

... propaganda.

"I don't think the vegan diet was a direct contributor to the baby's death."

LOL Keep "thinking," bro.

It is easier than you may think to find cases of vegan-induced damage on pubmed. Here is but one:

Persistence of neurological damage induced by dietary vitamin B-12 deficiency in infancy. - PubMed - NCBI

Quite often the cases are B-12 deficiency and its serious associated consequences, but also calcium, iodine deficiencies and, in older vegans - spinal column degeneration.

Imagine the vegan outrage if eating only meat caused these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I don't think whether the baby was on soy formula, or breast milk (which the article said the mom was breastfeeding), or bovine milk was the acute cause of death.
    It would appear to be an overall lack of calories, and/or nutrition.
    The parents were likely kooks, and happened to have an affinity towards veganism.
    Well, the Venn diagram did overlap in this particular case just right.
    So presenting this unfortunate example of really bad parenting as "vejjenism will put your ass in the hospital and/or morgue" could be seen as ...

... propaganda.
    I have to agree with Fulcrum here.
    People who mistreat their children exist, and they're not all vegan.
    And diets without animal products are not per se harmful for children.

If you define a "vegan diet" as any diet that has no animal foods in it, this broad range includes ridiculous and crazy things, like eating only french fries, or feeding your baby only, I don't know (can't access the news article linked above either), almond milk or whatever.

But with a little bit of information it is entirely possible for humans to thrive on sensible vegan diets, including pregnant women and infants. B12 needs to be supplemented, and the diet needs to include not only vegetables and fruit but also calory dense foods.
    My point is, there are not only two diets, omnivore and vegan, and one is healthy and the other is not. With or without animal products is only one factor, from the nutritional perspective. I don't know why that offends some people.

Do vegans believe human breast milk is bad for a baby? It is a food source derived from another animal.

Think of all of those animal proteins in there! The baby will have cloudy plasma!

The film is the propaganda promotion of James Cameron and almost certainly Arnold, not to sell the “documentary”, but to sell veggie burgers.

Cameron is a major investor in pea protein and he and Schwarzenegger produced the documentary. Did you people fall off the turnip truck?

I don’t begrudge them a few extra 100M dollars but only fools think this is coincidence. They are promoting their veggie burger products, the Hollywood elite and the political left, who are fools, go along with it. And that’s fine too. But let’s be honest, it’s no more altruistic than “big oil”. Maybe less, because it is plays to “green” and “good”. But it’s not, it’s evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    I don’t. It’s all friends of mine who have tried it, so it’s all anecdote, and I’m not going to put any of their personal information on here. It’s not hard to find stories like this if you do a Google search for them, though. That being said, being from the Northwest, I know more people who have stayed vegan or at least vegetarian than people who have gone off it due to health complications. At the same time, I also know people who have gone low-carb with manifestly awful diets (what is “keto pizza,” you might ask?) and haven’t heard of any similar experiences from them.

One thing that’s pointed out on the podcast that’s worth mentioning is that people really have absolutely no idea what healthy food looks like. Among my friends who struggle to lose body fat, this tends to be the gap I see - lots of avocado and juices and wraps and soft drinks and “healthy” snack foods plus a couple vegetables and little meat. I have a coworker who regularly eats a cucumber for dinner but has an avocado smoothie for breakfast that sounds like it’s close to 1,000 empty calories. I think this is generally what happens to people who go vegan and get sick - the meat in their diet carries most of the nutrition they eat, and once it’s out they’re just consuming empty calories, junk, and a few low-calorie vegetables that aren’t doing much beyond preventing scurvy at that point.
    People really don't realize how much most commercially produced food contains plant derived fat. This is either in the manufacturing or the cooking in the case of restaurants. So they look at the plate and cut the healthy carbohydrates (if "carnivore") or the meat (if "vegan") but fail to realize how much "invisible" junk is added for lack of a better word. Plant derived fats represent most of the fats in our food supply and likely where most people overeat fats yet people whine about beef, whole milk, and whole eggs. More on this to come.

I saw this article when it was first came out. My two year old son was twice the weight as an 18 month old as the unfortunate child who was starved to death. I hope the parents are able to thrive in prison as “veggans.”

Im pretty sure the most accurate term to describe vejans and "plant based charlatans" is "Carniphobic" Most of their arguments (eg cloudy plasma) are based on indicoing fear. None or few of their arguments appear to be based on the POSITIVES of eating only fruits and vegetables but instead are based on the (alleged) negatives of the standard American diet or one that otherwsie includes meat.

I also like to belittle them for their viewpoint. For example, very few people who take a principled position against the gay agenda are actually "afraid" of gay people. However, by labeling them "homophobes" pro-gay activists are able to marginalize and insult their position. Xenophobe is a similar term for a similar reason. Im suprised planned parenthood does label Pro-life people "choice phobes". I propose we use a similar term to describe veejans et al. Carniphobe is really the most accurate term for these folks.

starting strength coach development program
    Carniphobia. An excellent construction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast