starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't keep back tight on Deadlift

Default Can't keep back tight on Deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube
    This is 345x5x1. I have tried for months to keep my back tight and I have failed no matter what I do.
    I am running an LP. I have been having trouble with my pull for a long time now. I have never pulled a deadlift correctly. I have wasted so much time already and my squat can't progress because my deadlift is so low. I have put many posts on the technique thread, but lately I haven't been getting responses to my questions, so feel free to move this. How I pulled this set of 345x5x1 feels much more difficult than my pulls in the past. Is this correct? My squat is at 330x5x3. Am I tightening my low back enough? How should I do this? Is any back rounding acceptable? Should I go up in weight even if my back rounds?

What are you doing with your chin as the bar comes off the floor? Stop doing that.

You probably haven’t had more responses because it looks fine and you should be loading more weight. Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.

So nothing else is wrong?

I asked you a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What are you doing with your chin as the bar comes off the floor? Stop doing that.
    Just for my own edification, it seems like he CAN do this with pretty good form. Mark would you say specifically that rep 3 was good (less chin drop and subsequent back rounding)?

It was better. Still waiting for my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morrison View Post
    So nothing else is wrong?
    You really should address Rip's question. Think about what doing that with your neck (which is part of your spine) might mean for your lower back extension.

Yes, he should, if he wants to post here again. I know he's a kid, just using the Technique board for a coach, but he needs to learn to cooperate.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree, if only out of respect. It’s your damn forum after all. And yeh, you sort of developed the program so responding would be to his benefit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast