How to Get Testosterone Checked How to Get Testosterone Checked - Page 6

starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How to Get Testosterone Checked

• wichita falls texas march seminar date
    • woodmere new york april seminar date
    Just had my quarterly labs done and Iím at 508. The nurse bumped me up to 180mgs since they want me in the 700s. I expected the labs to come back higher since Iíve been hitting PRs practically every workout. I can only imagine what it feels like on a bodybuilder dose!

I hope you guys have figured out that the reference range numbers are almost meaningless. Your serum level is not like the gas tank gauge. One guy may be fine at 375 and another guy symptomatic at 880. If you are symptomatic and you add test, and you benefit from it, then your test was low, no matter the reference range. If the doctor tells you your number is "high enough" that he won't treat it even in the presence of symptoms, then like prescribing statins to women with total cholesterol at 235, he's just being a Doctor. That's his Training. The system is physiology -- it's very complicated and there are variables at play we don't even know about, and attempts to make it into engineering do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I hope you guys have figured out that the reference range numbers are almost meaningless. Your serum level is not like the gas tank gauge. One guy may be fine at 375 and another guy symptomatic at 880. If you are symptomatic and you add test, and you benefit from it, then your test was low, no matter the reference range. If the doctor tells you your number is "high enough" that he won't treat it even in the presence of symptoms, then like prescribing statins to women with total cholesterol at 235, he's just being a Doctor. That's his Training. The system is physiology -- it's very complicated and there are variables at play we don't even know about, and attempts to make it into engineering do not work.
    In my opinion this could not be more true. See my earlier post about the difference getting to a mere 300 made for me (I suspect itís much higher for the few days following the injection, but still.) Iím going to see if I can raise it more, but I know there will a dosage point of diminishing returns. Meaning the benefit will level off. And Iím talking therapeutic does only.

I wonder if the uninformed think that just adding test no matter what makes you feel exponentially better. E.g. if you feel good, adding test will make you feel even better!

It doesnít, could make you feel like shit, thereís too many intricacies to go into here. It ainít ecstasy (not that Iíd know.)

But restoring and optimizing your hormone levels (letís not discount T3 and T4 in this) can bring you to a level you should...and deserve to be. It can be a game changer and itís a shame there is a stigma with it in the medical community (mostly GPís.)

I simply canít express my support of male hormone optimization enough. It can save lives.

I suspect the same holds true for women, but thatís not my reference point.

I think you overestimate our intelligence because youíre some sort of redneck Einstein.

Yep! It actually made a lot more sense to me when you explained it.

I agree with this, and as a doctor I am painfully aware of the limits of what we know and donít know, and the challenge of trying to figure out how to balance taking a chance on something that might help vs. doing no harm.

If your doctor isnít working for you as a trusted expert advisor, find another one. If every doctor you talk to thinks your suggestion or plan is a bad one, then probably you should rethink your ideas.

I think that many doctors have a resistance to T because it smacks of ďcosmeticĒ medicine, which many of us feel is sort of less honorable than healing the sick. So we donít like to give Adderall to healthy people for an ďextra edgeĒ and I guess we donít like to give ďextra TĒ to guys that are healthy according to the numbers.

The problem is just as Rip said: we donít really know how to assess Testosterone levels vs function. Most doctors donít like ambiguity, and arenít comfortable treating something they canít easily test or measure. As a psychiatrist, I donít have the luxury of avoiding ambiguity, but I understand their position.

Hereís a tip: I wouldnít recommend spending lots of time and energy trying to convince a doctor to do something they are uncomfortable with, or may not know how to do well. Find someone who knows how to do it and can lead the way. You may have to go outside of your insurance and spend a few extra bucks, but as others on this thread have posted, in the case of Testosterone, this is certainly doable if you feel strongly enough about it to take the effort and responsibility to do so.

You're not suggesting a man should look to manage exogenous Test levels outside the scrutiny of a !!!TRAINED MEDICAL DOCTOR!!! are you Rip? (Pearls clutched firmly in hand).

God no! How dare you suggest such a thing?

Inspired by this thread I did a home test and the number came back as 669 ng/dl with a reference range of 193-740. I assume this means no need to explore TRT if I'm understanding the numbers correctly, right?

Screenshot from 2020-02-01 08-50-43.jpg

At home Testosterone test, how to check your Testosterone at home

starting strength coach development program
    Sure, Jeff. That's exactly what it means.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456