starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How to Get Testosterone Checked

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just had my quarterly labs done and I’m at 508. The nurse bumped me up to 180mgs since they want me in the 700s. I expected the labs to come back higher since I’ve been hitting PRs practically every workout. I can only imagine what it feels like on a bodybuilder dose!

I hope you guys have figured out that the reference range numbers are almost meaningless. Your serum level is not like the gas tank gauge. One guy may be fine at 375 and another guy symptomatic at 880. If you are symptomatic and you add test, and you benefit from it, then your test was low, no matter the reference range. If the doctor tells you your number is "high enough" that he won't treat it even in the presence of symptoms, then like prescribing statins to women with total cholesterol at 235, he's just being a Doctor. That's his Training. The system is physiology -- it's very complicated and there are variables at play we don't even know about, and attempts to make it into engineering do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I hope you guys have figured out that the reference range numbers are almost meaningless. Your serum level is not like the gas tank gauge. One guy may be fine at 375 and another guy symptomatic at 880. If you are symptomatic and you add test, and you benefit from it, then your test was low, no matter the reference range. If the doctor tells you your number is "high enough" that he won't treat it even in the presence of symptoms, then like prescribing statins to women with total cholesterol at 235, he's just being a Doctor. That's his Training. The system is physiology -- it's very complicated and there are variables at play we don't even know about, and attempts to make it into engineering do not work.
    In my opinion this could not be more true. See my earlier post about the difference getting to a mere 300 made for me (I suspect it’s much higher for the few days following the injection, but still.) I’m going to see if I can raise it more, but I know there will a dosage point of diminishing returns. Meaning the benefit will level off. And I’m talking therapeutic does only.

I wonder if the uninformed think that just adding test no matter what makes you feel exponentially better. E.g. if you feel good, adding test will make you feel even better!

It doesn’t, could make you feel like shit, there’s too many intricacies to go into here. It ain’t ecstasy (not that I’d know.)

But restoring and optimizing your hormone levels (let’s not discount T3 and T4 in this) can bring you to a level you should...and deserve to be. It can be a game changer and it’s a shame there is a stigma with it in the medical community (mostly GP’s.)

I simply can’t express my support of male hormone optimization enough. It can save lives.

I suspect the same holds true for women, but that’s not my reference point.

I think you overestimate our intelligence because you’re some sort of redneck Einstein.

Yep! It actually made a lot more sense to me when you explained it.

I agree with this, and as a doctor I am painfully aware of the limits of what we know and don’t know, and the challenge of trying to figure out how to balance taking a chance on something that might help vs. doing no harm.

If your doctor isn’t working for you as a trusted expert advisor, find another one. If every doctor you talk to thinks your suggestion or plan is a bad one, then probably you should rethink your ideas.

I think that many doctors have a resistance to T because it smacks of “cosmetic” medicine, which many of us feel is sort of less honorable than healing the sick. So we don’t like to give Adderall to healthy people for an “extra edge” and I guess we don’t like to give “extra T” to guys that are healthy according to the numbers.

The problem is just as Rip said: we don’t really know how to assess Testosterone levels vs function. Most doctors don’t like ambiguity, and aren’t comfortable treating something they can’t easily test or measure. As a psychiatrist, I don’t have the luxury of avoiding ambiguity, but I understand their position.

Here’s a tip: I wouldn’t recommend spending lots of time and energy trying to convince a doctor to do something they are uncomfortable with, or may not know how to do well. Find someone who knows how to do it and can lead the way. You may have to go outside of your insurance and spend a few extra bucks, but as others on this thread have posted, in the case of Testosterone, this is certainly doable if you feel strongly enough about it to take the effort and responsibility to do so.

You're not suggesting a man should look to manage exogenous Test levels outside the scrutiny of a !!!TRAINED MEDICAL DOCTOR!!! are you Rip? (Pearls clutched firmly in hand).

God no! How dare you suggest such a thing?

Inspired by this thread I did a home test and the number came back as 669 ng/dl with a reference range of 193-740. I assume this means no need to explore TRT if I'm understanding the numbers correctly, right?

Screenshot from 2020-02-01 08-50-43.jpg

At home Testosterone test, how to check your Testosterone at home

starting strength coach development program
    Sure, Jeff. That's exactly what it means.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456