starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Get Testosterone Checked

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreiDecker View Post
    Why so rude Rip?

you should take your time to read this piece by a clinical psychiatrist, you know, the ones being paid so people don't blow their head with a shotgun

Patient Stories: The Farmers Shotgun - Psychotropical

it's entertaining and maybe will change your mind about "the chemicals" and "grownsome balls" attitude. If you think testosterone wasn't tried as a cure for people like this you are terrible wrong.
    Training with depression? Long term prognosis?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreiDecker View Post
    I don't know why you think like this. For example, I'm 24 years old, my total test came back 200 ng/dl a while ago, but turns out I have naturally very low SHBG, in the 10s, so my Free test was normal, in fact it was even a little above average. Do I need TRT then? At the time indid have some symptons, however I lost some extra fat, SHBG went up and total T raised. Also LH and FSH were very low, but I think is caused by the pituitary reacting to the low SHBG and Normal free test and balacing things out, I'm no doctor so I don't know the details. I did an experiment and took tamoxifen along with anastrozol for a few months and the FSH raised a bit, LH sky rocketed, total T raised, as well as free T, but I felt not so different, and too high levels of LH can cause too much testosterone to be converted to estrogen inside the testes, which can't be controlled by anastrozol.

Why so rude Rip?

you should take your time to read this piece by a clinical psychiatrist, you know, the ones being paid so people don't blow their head with a shotgun

Patient Stories: The Farmers Shotgun - Psychotropical

it's entertaining and maybe will change your mind about "the chemicals" and "grownsome balls" attitude. If you think testosterone wasn't tried as a cure for people like this you are terrible wrong.
    I agree with you. Thats why you need to get all the labs tested. its interesting that you had symptoms with high free test. Maybe your symptoms were due to not enough E2/estradiol? If total test is low and free is high, what was your conversion rate? E2 can have good and bad symptoms. But htis is my point and why I agree with you - you need to get lab work done and figure this shit out for yourself. Doing things like losoiign weight, which you did, affects the analysis. Also, while none of us are snowflakes, we are all a little different and our hormnal profile, aptitudes, receptor sensitivtiy and so on is all rather unique. This is why test, experiment, test again is required for conundrum like cases. Such as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    If you live in an American state (i.e. not one of those that restrict your freedoms) you can order the tests online for your damn self, go to a blood draw place and get it done. The prices are listed online. Its a really good way to start taking control of your own health care decisions: educate yourself; choose your test; take the test; interpret your results; take action accordingly. All of this is possible for a speaker of english w a HS degree. The interwebs is magic!

See EG: https://www.walkinlab.com/men-s-well...ll&order=price

also Private MD - Buy Lab Tests Online
    Thank you for this...I have grown increasingly frustrated with both (retired) military medicine and the VA healthcare system (they are two different providers) refusals to perform the labs I wanted; had my blood drawn locally this morning for a full male hormonal profile via Private MD. Regardless of my results, I plan to do this every 6 mos or so from now on and track things myself; seeking treatment when/if appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leppo View Post
    Thank you for this...I have grown increasingly frustrated with both (retired) military medicine and the VA healthcare system (they are two different providers) refusals to perform the labs I wanted; had my blood drawn locally this morning for a full male hormonal profile via Private MD. Regardless of my results, I plan to do this every 6 mos or so from now on and track things myself; seeking treatment when/if appropriate.
    It is weird how everyone seems to rule out testosterone issues right out the gate. When I was a teenager and had a LOT of trouble growing muscle and was always depressed, no one even seemed to consider testing it. I'm actually about to go get it looked at for the first time today. I'm hoping I can rule it out as an issue, but better to know if it's a problem than not. Unfortunately it's not gonna be the full hormonal profile I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leppo View Post
    I get my labs drawn using Privatmdlabs. BeeN using em for years. They’ll send you a requisition that’s you print and take to LabCorp. Tell em it’s prepaid. Great source! I usually order the “female hormone panel” for about $60 and use the 15% off coupon they send you via email. It’s usually the first three letters of the month and last two of year (Jan20 for this month).

The female hormone panel (you check that you’re a male when you order it) will provide a CBC, testosterone (up to 1500), estradiol, lh and fsh, so it’s a pretty good one. Once a year I’ll add things like a PSA, lipid profile, maybe thyroid, etc as needed.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    I get my labs drawn using Privatmdlabs. BeeN using em for years. They’ll send you a requisition that’s you print and take to LabCorp. Tell em it’s prepaid. Great source! I usually order the “female hormone panel” for about $60 and use the 15% off coupon they send you via email. It’s usually the first three letters of the month and last two of year (Jan20 for this month).

The female hormone panel (you check that you’re a male when you order it) will provide a CBC, testosterone (up to 1500), estradiol, lh and fsh, so it’s a pretty good one. Once a year I’ll add things like a PSA, lipid profile, maybe thyroid, etc as needed.

Hope it helps.
    I, too, get the female panel BUT I have heard people say that the estradiol test in the female panel is not good. That men need the so-called "sensitive test" or "sensitive assay test" (cant recall name) because its more accurate somehow. Whatever. My numbers have been stable and logically high or low depending on my medicine usage using the cheap E2 test.

After reading this thread, I’m pissed. I just had my T, SHBG, and free T checked. Total was 420. SHBG was 33 and free T was 8. Doc told me that was “normal.”

The whole reason I went was because I’m chronically getting injured. My recovery times are abysmal. My libido is shit and despite yet another injury I’m pushing through, my progress is virtually stalled.

I’m headed to “The Men’s Clinic” ASAP.

All this mess because Rip advises to get your test checked. Good lord.

Anyone on this board, or anywhere for that matter, who disagree with this simple but critical piece of data (when dealing with depression) are out of those minds.

(Which is a perfect example of circular logic.)

100 mg/week of test at age 56 saved me from a very dark place. It’s not a cure all for everyone, but it wasn’t suggested as one. It’s another metric we need to be aware of.

Once you start TRT can you stop?

starting strength coach development program
    I know of no current regulation prohibiting the cessation of TRT. You probably won't want to, but nothing bad happens that wasn't bad before.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast