starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Get Testosterone Checked

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Once you start TRT can you stop?
    If you feel shitty on a regular basis and take a med that makes you feel better, look better and perform better would you then want to go back to feeling shitty?

You’ll get hooked on it, but theres always the option to not risk it and continue living a suboptimal life.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Once you start TRT can you stop?
    The administration of exogenous Testosterone usually causes your balls to stop making whatever meagre amounts it had been, and the high levels you now have on TRT keeps th balls pretty much shut down. When shut down they atrophy. If you cease taking exogenous testosterone, your test elvels plummet and the body should restatrt the factory, so to speak and the balls should come back online. Evidently however, this rarely happens. Maybe its a function of how long youve been on exogenous hormones, maybe its personal, genetic and idiosyncratic. Its unclear. Some people balls come back and others dont. Some people come back but at an lower degree than ormerely. Very rarely does someone come back in line to rodue HIGHER levels than what they had before they went on TRT. In short, I would expect to be on trt for life.

It should be noted that this is highly individual.

according to the T clinic, hcg is supposed to mitigate testicular atrophy when receiving trt. Haven’t looked into whether this is valid or just pseudoscience. If anyone on the board has an opinion, I’d like to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    according to the T clinic, hcg is supposed to mitigate testicular atrophy when receiving trt. Haven’t looked into whether this is valid or just pseudoscience. If anyone on the board has an opinion, I’d like to hear it.
    I use HCG. 750 IU week. My age management Dr was Cenegenics trained and started me on it along with Test and Anastrozole. He said some do just fine without it (primarily because they don’t wanna pay for it at a cash cost of around $40 month in my area). He usually prescribes it for testicular atrophy (cosmetic and pain) as well as backfilling some hormone pathways that he believes hcg helps with like DHEA and Pregnenolone. I don’t overthink it and just take the once weekly shot and do well on the particular dose I’m using.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    300 level test is fine...for an 85 yr old man.
    Not really. According to a paper published N.I.H. here:

A Validated Age-Related Normative Model for Male Total Testosterone Shows Increasing Variance but No Decline after Age 40 Years

Total T stays fairly constant after the age of 40 in spite of what most doctors tend to believe. The left side of the curve (men with total T < 50 percentile) tends to skew further left, while the right side of the curve stays constant for ages 40-88 - which suggests environmental factors are the cause of any observed decline in average total T across the population instead of age. I know Rip has beat this drum before. But it's refreshing to see it published.

Just went to a Men’s Clinic by me this morning. They redrew my blood and checked it again. They called me this afternoon and said I had total bio-available of ~200-250 (I can’t remember the exact number). Total serum was 400 and free T was 7 which most doctors won’t treat, apparently.

I don’t understand the range of 300-1200. It’s like saying your car needs to be somewhere between empty and full, in my opinion. Well, sometimes I want to drive my car further than what’s in the gas tank!

I walked out the door with an added 150 (mg?) of T in my butt cheek. Hopefully, I’ll start to notice a difference sooner rather than later.

The 300-1200 reference range is what a large group of people display when tested. It has nothing to do with what should be, but what is. Like cars are somewhere between empty and full.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The 300-1200 reference range is what a large group of people display when tested. It has nothing to do with what should be, but what is. Like cars are somewhere between empty and full.
    Interesting. So is the value where someone “should” be, the one in which they feel normal?

Also, I wanted to mention that the Nurse Practitioner who gave me the shot told me that she treats a ton of physicians with testosterone who often won’t treat their own patients unless their levels are below 300.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by grichens View Post
    Not really. According to a paper published N.I.H. here:

A Validated Age-Related Normative Model for Male Total Testosterone Shows Increasing Variance but No Decline after Age 40 Years

Total T stays fairly constant after the age of 40 in spite of what most doctors tend to believe. The left side of the curve (men with total T < 50 percentile) tends to skew further left, while the right side of the curve stays constant for ages 40-88 - which suggests environmental factors are the cause of any observed decline in average total T across the population instead of age. I know Rip has beat this drum before. But it's refreshing to see it published.
    My apologies...I guess you can’t see my tongue planted into my cheek online.

Big SMILE>>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast