starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Older lifters podcast.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Rip,

Yeah, we may be a small audience...now. Perhaps with an occasional podcast here or there, the audience grows. I'd listen fwiw...

Nockian,

I think Rip may have said it many moons ago, you want to get better...go enter a meet.

Competing has made all the difference in my training over the last three years. It's made me think more about what I'm trying to accomplish, made me read more about the sport, made me more focused in the gym. After a while, you do figure it out for yourself. You've already got a good base of knowledge and training (hopefully) to start with.
    Yes, thats the intention this year, which is one of the things I'd like to know about as an older competitor, so I can make sure I'm prepared. I always get the sense that Rip is talking to younger lifters from the position of an old hand rather than at those who might be his senior in years, but have sparse knowledge of the sport. Younger guys can afford a lot of mistakes, just like new cars can take a lot of abuse, but older lifters have to be a bit more careful with the oil changes, bearings and valve clearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Got it and read it. Sully and Baker get the ageing phenotype on the road to better strength/health which is excellent. However, like Rip, they are both long term lifters. I'm talking about those who at a ripe old age hear the clarion call for one more push and want to excel, not just make the step from doing nothing, to lifting, but to push the boundaries of our cronkiness:-)

TBP gets the old and weak on the road; that in itself is an amazing success, but it stops short of going further, probably because Sully can hardly imagine that many 60+ will even read the book, never mind take the journey to getting under a heavy barbell.

I look around my own gym. The only older guys training are all long time lifters. We have a very jacked 62 year old ex-body builder and a 52 year old ex-marine who has lifted since he was 10 years old. The other people of my age are all doing cardio, light Dumbbells, machines and sit-ups. There just aren't that many of us who started late and are taking training seriously. For us few, there is a thirst for more knowledge so we can rag the envelope.
    Kingwood Texas Method in BBP got me to competitive success and multiple recreational federation state records. A custom Baker program was required to get to rec fed world records.

Browndog, the guy who comments occasionally at Maggie's Farm? I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see you here as well. Congrats again on your 227.5kg competition deadlift! #kickcancerinthedick

I second the competition aspect. I probably would still be months away from my own 500 lb deadlift if I didn't enter the USSF Fall Classic in Phoenix last October. I'm now seriously thinking about trying for my first four-plate squat at the Phoenix meet which is tentatively scheduled for March. Biggest goal is to not get hurt between now and then. I did 370 at the October meet and left at lot of weight off the bar. Training is going well now and I'll be going to the squat and deadlift camp put on by Coach Santana next month.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Browndog, the guy who comments occasionally at Maggie's Farm? I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see you here as well. Congrats again on your 227.5kg competition deadlift! #kickcancerinthedick

I second the competition aspect. I probably would still be months away from my own 500 lb deadlift if I didn't enter the USSF Fall Classic in Phoenix last October. I'm now seriously thinking about trying for my first four-plate squat at the Phoenix meet which is tentatively scheduled for March. Biggest goal is to not get hurt between now and then. I did 370 at the October meet and left at lot of weight off the bar. Training is going well now and I'll be going to the squat and deadlift camp put on by Coach Santana next month.

-RJP
    RPJ, yes...yes I am. Good to see you here. Best wishes for your next competition, go pull that 500lbs!

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    RPJ, yes...yes I am. Good to see you here. Best wishes for your next competition, go pull that 500lbs!
    Thanks. I actually did that 500 lb pull last October, hoping to squat four plates in March.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    Kingwood Texas Method in BBP got me to competitive success and multiple recreational federation state records. A custom Baker program was required to get to rec fed world records.
    I have one currently, but I was thinking that I could get away with plotting my own course in the future, I guess that's impractical if I want to actually compete seriously, although I have to be practical here, I was never an athlete at any time, so world records are probably a long way from my potential. Were you always always a lifter, or did you come to it later as I have ?

-RJP
    500lb DL that's a proper dream for me, my goal is 400lb this year and I'm so close I can taste it. 500lb pull is fantastic at 60+ Four plate squat, magnificent. I'm 5'8" and 169lbs so that would be a massive leap from where I'm at. I think Rip said he still has a 500lb pull in him, but definitely 450 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Noted.
    Mark,

All information with respects to the Masters lifter is appreciated especially coming from you. Not enough information out there especially from sexagenarians still lifting. I am 66 and sometimes I do not know
    if my recovery is associated with age, nutrition, sleep, or over training. I have no one to relate to because I do not know of anyone my age doing what I am doing except what (Nockian) has described in his post. Previously I had been pushing until the wheels came off, and now the wheels are back on, but the lug nuts are probably still a "little loose" ,and need tightening up. I know everyone is different, but hearing from older advanced lifter would be helpful at least to me.

John Fisher

Thanks. I actually did that 500 lb pull last October, hoping to squat four plates in March.

-RJP
    Reading comprehension seems to have left me RPJ...

My apologies, take 4 plates for a ride!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post

TBP gets the old and weak on the road; that in itself is an amazing success, but it stops short of going further, probably because Sully can hardly imagine that many 60+ will even read the book, never mind take the journey to getting under a heavy barbell.
    I have to differ. TBP has a chapter on advanced programming. For truly elite competitors, even Masters, however, programming will always be very highly individualized. Templates, to the extent they're useful at all in that very small population of competitive Masters, are of limited utility.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast