starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Older lifters podcast.

Default Older lifters podcast.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark, could you do something specific on novice/intermediate older lifters who started in their late 50s and older and what they can expect in strength gains, bulking up, diets, programming, reps and volume ?

Every so often you add in your experience as an older lifter which is fascinating, but you have been training seriously for most of your life, so though it's somewhat applicable to older lifters, it's more useful for those who have been in the game much longer . However, many of us have taken this up far too late to get a 300lb squat, or even a 200lb bench press. When we eat a bunch of food we also just get fat, increase our blood pressure and get joint problems.

I'm having some experience as to what's possible and what is realistic, I want to compete as an older master lifter, so what are the differences from the younger guys in prep and meets ?

Noted.

If you haven't yet,I would recommend you read Baker and Sully's book "The Barbell Prescription."
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

One more vote for this subject matter on the podcast (and I do own - and have read and re-read - "The Barbell Prescription").

Also, is there enough to say about the impact of various anthropometries to fill an episode? I recently discovered I am a close match to Michael Phelps with even slightly longer arm-span -- could these freakish proportions explain my knee-slide in the squat? or my difficulty with chin-ups? (For him, of course, everyone uses it to explain his ability to swim so well, but I am just a bit beyond taking advantage of the proportions for an olympic swimming career...).

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    If you haven't yet,I would recommend you read Baker and Sully's book "The Barbell Prescription."
    Got it and read it. Sully and Baker get the ageing phenotype on the road to better strength/health which is excellent. However, like Rip, they are both long term lifters. I'm talking about those who at a ripe old age hear the clarion call for one more push and want to excel, not just make the step from doing nothing, to lifting, but to push the boundaries of our cronkiness:-)

TBP gets the old and weak on the road; that in itself is an amazing success, but it stops short of going further, probably because Sully can hardly imagine that many 60+ will even read the book, never mind take the journey to getting under a heavy barbell.

I look around my own gym. The only older guys training are all long time lifters. We have a very jacked 62 year old ex-body builder and a 52 year old ex-marine who has lifted since he was 10 years old. The other people of my age are all doing cardio, light Dumbbells, machines and sit-ups. There just aren't that many of us who started late and are taking training seriously. For us few, there is a thirst for more knowledge so we can rag the envelope.

Where do you feel it's lacking?

Between Barbell Prescription and Practical Programming, I'm not quite sure what gaps there are. TBP and PPST both have advanced sections. Are you looking for "Competitive barbel training for 50 to 70 year-olds"?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I'd be podcasting to a very small audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's never stopped you before. Narrowcasting is your forte. You did almost an entire show on geology :laugh:-I was probably the only one watching that, absolutely brilliant. Then there was cattle farming, loved that too. I even watched the 'older lifter' episode about the demise of the older competitor, which surely must have alienated everyone under 50, but you did it anyhow and that was great. I was a wee bit bored with the 'warrior poet' but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Got it and read it. Sully and Baker get the ageing phenotype on the road to better strength/health which is excellent. However, like Rip, they are both long term lifters. I'm talking about those who at a ripe old age hear the clarion call for one more push and want to excel, not just make the step from doing nothing, to lifting, but to push the boundaries of our cronkiness:-)

TBP gets the old and weak on the road; that in itself is an amazing success, but it stops short of going further, probably because Sully can hardly imagine that many 60+ will even read the book, never mind take the journey to getting under a heavy barbell.

I look around my own gym. The only older guys training are all long time lifters. We have a very jacked 62 year old ex-body builder and a 52 year old ex-marine who has lifted since he was 10 years old. The other people of my age are all doing cardio, light Dumbbells, machines and sit-ups. There just aren't that many of us who started late and are taking training seriously. For us few, there is a thirst for more knowledge so we can rag the envelope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Rip,

Yeah, we may be a small audience...now. Perhaps with an occasional podcast here or there, the audience grows. I'd listen fwiw...

Nockian,

I think Rip may have said it many moons ago, you want to get better...go enter a meet.

Competing has made all the difference in my training over the last three years. It's made me think more about what I'm trying to accomplish, made me read more about the sport, made me more focused in the gym. After a while, you do figure it out for yourself. You've already got a good base of knowledge and training (hopefully) to start with.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Where do you feel it's lacking?

Between Barbell Prescription and Practical Programming, I'm not quite sure what gaps there are. TBP and PPST both have advanced sections. Are you looking for "Competitive barbel training for 50 to 70 year-olds"?
    60-90 year olds. 50! That's almost a teen :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast